Designing Effective Assessments
Assessment is a critical component of effective teaching and learning. Designed specifically for K–12 educators, this title presents ten key assessment design tools and clearly outlines how to incorporate each tool into daily classroom practices. With quality assessment processes in place, teachers at all grade levels can accurately measure student mastery and shape instruction to increase achievement.
- Study research that supports each of the ten key assessment design tools described in this book.
- Explore the benefits of involving students in the assessment process.
- Learn how to align grading policies and practices to ensure they are valid and reliable.
- Examine how standards-based grading and reporting communicate student learning better than traditional assessment practices.
- Use reproducible handouts to create your own effective assessment and feedback practices.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Enhancing the Validity and Reliability of Assessments
Chapter 2: Measuring Student Attitudes, Dispositions, and Engagement Using Affective Assessment
Chapter 3: Assessing Student Criterion-Referenced Learning Using Performance-Based Assessment
Chapter 4: Documenting Student Progress Through Portfolios
Chapter 5: Creating Rubrics for Student Feedback
Chapter 6: Building Practical Grading Practices
Chapter 7: Building Valid and Reliable Grading Practices
Chapter 8: Improving Communication Through Standards-Based Grading
Chapter 9: Understanding and Using Standardized Assessment Data
Chapter 10: Teaching Test-Taking Skills
- Comparing Item Types
- Examining Quality of Assessment Items
- Reducing Errors in Measuring Student Performance
- Figure 2.1: Sample Student Self-Evaluation and Group Scoring Rubrics
- Assessing Student Academic Motivation and Perseverance
- Assessing Student Academic Self-Efficacy
- Assessing Student Learning Styles
- Template for Choosing or Designing an Affective Assessment Instrument
- Portfolio Planning for Students
- Portfolio Planning for Teachers
- Teacher Self-Assessment of Student Portfolios
- Aligning Assessments to Learning Goals for Valid Grading Practices
- Conversation Guide on Valid Grading Practices
- Self-Assessment of Valid Grading Practices
- Selection of Assessments for Report Card Summary Judgment
- Student Reflection on Body of Evidence
- Student Reflection Questions for Individual Assessments