What Principals Need to Know About Teaching and Learning Reading
Principals will discover practical strategies for strengthening and improving reading programs using the foundation established by the authors' six truths of reading instruction. Explore comprehensive, multifaceted instruction techniques, as well as additional steps you can take to support students directly. Identify and troubleshoot problems your teachers may face, and gain valuable approaches to topics such as reading comprehension, vocabulary and literacy, and phonics and fluency.
- Find practical, research-based strategies to strengthen or improve the effectiveness of school reading programs.
- Access free, downloadable reproducibles and suggested resources to support efforts to transform school reading programs.
- Understand the obstacles that impede effective reading instruction, and obtain recommendations for overcoming them.
- Receive tips for creating master schedules that prioritize student and teacher needs first.
- Gain strategies for supporting struggling readers and English learners.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Building an Effective Reading Program
Chapter 2: Comprehension
Chapter 3: Vocabulary
Chapter 4: Literacy in the Content Areas
Chapter 5: Phonics
Chapter 6: Fluency
Chapter 7: Teacher Read-Aloud and Independent Reading
Chapter 8: Reading Motivation and Engagement
Chapter 9: Struggling Readers and English Learners
- Comprehension Resources
- Comprehension Instruction: What to Look For
- Content-Area Literacy Resources
- Content-Area Literacy Instruction: What to Look For
- Fluency Instruction: What to Look For
- Fluency Resources
- Phonics Instruction: What to Look For
- Phonics Resources
- Reading Motivation and Engagement Resources
- Reading Motivation and Engagement: What to Look For
- Teacher Read-Aloud and Independent Reading Resources
- Teacher Read-Aloud and Independent Reading: What to Look For
- Struggling Reader and English Learner Resources
- Support for Struggling Readers and English Learners: What to Look For
- Vocabulary Instruction: What to Look For
- Vocabulary Resources