Garrick Peterson helps teachers and administrators become high-functioning PLCs with a specific focus on making the connection between assessment and intervention.
Garrick Peterson is the administrator over K–12 schools in the Alpine School District in Utah. His primary responsibility is implementing the principles of professional learning communities in the district’s 57 elementary schools, 12 middle schools, and 9 high schools. His focus with these schools is working with principals and leadership teams on both the cultural and structural shifts needed to be a successful professional learning community. He has worked with schools at all levels and all stages of PLC implementation.
Dr. Peterson first made his mark as an administrator as the principal of Lakeridge Junior High School. Under his leadership, Lakeridge faculty came together as a PLC to raise the school from one of the lowest-performing schools in the state to the highest-performing middle-level school. While he was principal, Lakeridge was named best of state for K–12 public and private schools in 2008, 2009, 2011, and 2012. Lakeridge was also awarded the National Blue Ribbon Award in 2012. Lakeridge was one of a few schools highlighted in Raising the Bar and Closing the Gap: Whatever It Takes by Richard DuFour, Rebecca DuFour, Robert Eaker, and Gayle Karhanek
As a consultant for schools and school districts, Dr. Peterson has experienced success not only in student achievement results but also in building staff morale and confidence.
Garrick received a doctoral degree in education leadership from the University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV).
PLC at Work®
PLC at Work® experts have proven success in leading the PLC at Work process in a school or district. Work with them to implement a focus on learning, build a collaborative culture, and create a results orientation that leads to sustained, substantive school improvement.
RTI at Work™
RTI at Work experts focus on learning for all students and will empower you to build your own timely, targeted, and systematic intervention program. Work with them to implement a results-driven program that provides targeted instruction at all tiers of intervention.
Presentations by Garrick Peterson
- In the Middle of It: Implementing Professional Learning Communities in Middle Schools
- Intervention for Student Learning: Creating a Schoolwide Intervention Model That Works for All Students and Teachers
- It Can Be Done: A Case for Professional Learning Communities
- It’s a Matter of Time: Restructuring Time to Empower Staff to Make a Difference
- Results to Learning: Using Results to Create a Process of Change in Organizational Structure and Teacher Instruction
- PLC at Work 2-day workshop
- SRTI/RTI 2-day workshop
- PLC’s a Worthy Endeavor: PLC Overview
- RTI and PLCs the Perfect Match
- Raising the Bar, Closing the Gap: Whatever it Takes (Intervention in a PLC)
- Culture Eats Structure for Lunch
- Assessment for Student Learning
- Simply Data: Data as the Key to PLC Success
- Good, Better, Best: Working through the Stages of Team Development
- Building the Building’s Leadership Capacity
- Increasing the Rigor in Your PLC
“I thought Garrick was awesome. He incorporated key points that I wanted the teachers to hear and brought some effective resources. Great presentation. I would have him back in a sec.”—Reg Gabriel, principal, Abbotsford Traditional Middle School, Abbotsford, BC