Leading Modern Learning
A Blueprint for Vision-Driven Schools
Bring focus to your mission for modern learning. Whether you're upgrading a department, school, or district, the authors offer a systemic framework, proven processes, and practical strategies your team can use to achieve your vision. Explore the building blocks for creating a curriculum that supports modern learning, an assessment system that captures evidence of 21st century skills, and instruction that aligns with modern learning principles.
- Learn strategies for engaging various constituents in envisioning a future-oriented mission.
- Apply a backward design process for aligning all aspects of the system with the mission.
- Consider an innovative approach to designing a modern curriculum.
- Explore a framework for assessments that can enhance learning as well as measure it.
- Review instructional procedures for personalizing learning and developing independent learners.
- Examine the LearningBoard, a robust technology tool for communicating modern learning 24/7.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The Power of Visioning
Chapter 2: From Vision to Mission
Chapter 3: From Mission to Action
Chapter 4: Curriculum for Modern Learning
Chapter 5: An Assessment System for Modern Learning
Chapter 6: Instruction for Modern Learning
Chapter 7: A Reporting System for Modern Learning
Appendix A: Sources for Futures-Oriented Thinking Tools and Processes
Appendix B: Sources to Develop Performance Indicators for the 4Cs
Appendix C: Sample Performance Indicators for 21st Century Skills
Appendix D: Examples of Assessment Principles
- Catalina Foothills School District's Global Citizen Lifelong Learners
- Institute for the Future
- New Zealand Council for Educational Research
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Buck Institute for Education's Collaboration Rubrics
- Catalina Foothills School District's Envision21 Deep Learning Collaboration Rubric for Grades K–2
- Department of Defense Education Activity's Reflection and Evaluation Rubrics
- EdLeader21's 4Cs Rubrics
- Future of Education Wiki's 21st Century Skills Sample Rubrics
- Grant Wiggins's "On Assessing for Creativity: Yes You Can, and Yes You Should” Handout
- Howard-Suamico School District's 21st Century Skills Rubrics
- National Education Association's Preparing 21st Century Students for a Global Society Guide
- Saywire's 21st Century Learning Objectives Rubric
- State of Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction's 21st Century Skills Standards Rubrics
- Susan M. Brookhart's “Assessing Creativity”