Coaching Your Classroom
Learn how to employ effective feedback to create a student-centered culture in your classroom. Understand the importance of high-quality student feedback and communication in the classroom and how you can coach your students to their next steps.
- Analyze the impact of learning-centered classroom language and formative assessment on student learning.
- Understand the importance of effective communication in the classroom, as well as how giving feedback works and what a student-centered culture looks like.
- Embrace the qualities of actionable feedback and examine the effect on student engagement and intrinsic motivation.
- Learn how to deliver individualized next steps and support students through the feedback loop and the gradual release of responsibility.
- Read real-world accounts and examples from teachers who have successfully coached their classrooms.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Adopt a Language of Learning
Chapter 2: Coach Every Student
Chapter 3: Craft High-Quality Feedback
Chapter 4: Utilize Feedback Methods
Chapter 5: Ensure Productive Responses
Chapter 6: Employ Self- and Peer Assessment
- Chapter 2 Reflection Questions
- Figure 2.2: Learning Target Checklist
- Figure 2.3: Student Learning Targets
- Chapter 4 Reflection Questions
- Figure 4.1: Here’s What. So What? Now What? Form
- Figure 4.2: TAG—You’re It! Feedback Form
- Figure 4.5: Single-Point Feedback
- Chapter 5 Reflection Questions
- Figure 5.1: Teacher Feedback Quality—Self-Reflection
- Figure 5.2: Step-by-Step List for Student Action to Feedback
- Figure 5.3: Portfolio Reflection Form
- Figure 5.6: Learning Log
- Questions for Parents and Guardians to Ask Their Children
- Chapter 6 Reflection Questions
- Figure 6.1: Classroom Anchor
- Figure 6.2: Rubric
- Figure 6.2: Writing Rubric
- Figure 6.3: Student Self-Assessment for Task-Oriented Work
- Figure 6.4: Student Self-Evaluation Form
- Figure 6.5: Focused Peer Conversations and Assessments
- Figure 6.6: Gathering Feedback From Different Sources
- Figure 6.7: Student Learning Navigation
- Erkens, C. (2016). Collaborative Common Assessments: Teamwork. Instruction. Results. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2017). Essential Assessment: Six Tenets for Bringing Hope, Efficacy, and Achievement to the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Fisher, D., & Frey, N. (2015). Unstoppable Learning: Seven Essential Elements to Unleash Student Potential. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Hierck, T. (2017). Seven Keys to a Positive Learning Environment in Your Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Schimmer, T., Hillman, G., & Stalets, M. (2018). Standards-Based Learning in Action: Moving From Theory to Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Vagle, N. D. (2015). Design in Five: Essential Phases to Create Engaging Assessment Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.