Data Notebooks, Portfolios, and Other Tools to Advance Learning
Increase the achievement of every learner with Student Self-Assessment. In this practical guide, author Katie White outlines how to plan and implement various self-assessment strategies to ensure student growth at all grade levels. She covers every stage of the process—from setup to goal setting to celebrating.
- Understand how self-assessment skills benefit students now and in the future.
- Learn how to set up a self-assessment process and document learning.
- Train students to analyze and reflect on their own performances.
- Set strong, achievable goals in order to motivate students to realize their potential.
- Celebrate successes and continue to engage students with self-assessment.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Embracing Student Self-Assessment
Chapter 1: Making a Compelling Case for Self-Assessment
Chapter 2: Setting Up a Self-Assessment Process and Documenting Learning
Chapter 3: Engaging in Analysis and Reflection
Chapter 4: Imagining Possibilities and Setting Goals
Chapter 5: Celebrating Growth
Chapter 6: Examining Age, Security, Families, and Other Factors
Appendix: Example Self-Assessment Sequence
- Figure 2.1: Sample Prompts for Each Cluster of Self-Assessment Subskills
- Table 2.1: Building a Shared Language
- Table 2.2: Features of Early Elementary, Upper Elementary and Middle School, and High School Data Notebooks and Portfolios
- All About Me: Early Elementary
- All About Me
- What Would You Like to Do?
- My Dreams and Ambitions
- My Learning Story Sample: Early Elementary
- My Learning Story Sample
- Sample Unit Tracker
- Monitoring My Learning
- Documenting and Reflecting on My Learning
- Figure 3.3: Process Analysis for Elementary Students—My Strategies
- Figure 3.4: Process Analysis for Middle and High School Students—Planning a Review
- Figure 3.5: Tool for Comparing More Than One Artifact
- Margin Symbols
- Reflection on a Work Sample: Single-Point Rubric
- Tracking My Progress
- Growth Card
- Reflecting on Success Criteria
- Most Important Things
- My Action Plan
- Assess and Reflect on Reading Skills
- Reflecting on Competencies
- Today’s Goal
- Short- and Long-Term Goals
- Reflecting and Goal Setting: English Language Arts
- Connecting Long-Term Goals to Short-Term Targets
- My Goals
- Goal Setting During Exploration
- Daily Goal Setting
- Reflecting and Goal Setting Prior to Sharing Learning With Others
- Daily Decision Making
- Reaching My Goal
- My Assessment Record
- It’s All Down to Decisions: Monitoring Goals
- Cohen, R. K., Opatsoky, D. K., Savage, J., Stevens, S. O., & Darrah, E. P. (2021). The metacognitive student: How to teach academic, social, and emotional intelligence in every content area. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The handbook for SMART school teams: Revitalizing best practices for collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Dimich, N. (2015). Design in five: Essential phases to create engaging assessment practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Dimich, N. (2017). Essential assessment: Six tenets for bringing hope, efficacy, and achievement to the classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Dimich, N. (2019). Growing tomorrow’s citizens in today’s classrooms: Assessing 7 critical competencies. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Jensen, E. (2019). Poor students, rich teaching: Seven high-impact mindsets for students from poverty (Rev. ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Porosoff, L., & Weinstein, J. (2018). Empower your students: Tools to inspire a meaningful school experience, grades 6–12. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- White, K. (2017). Softening the edges: Assessment practices that honor K–12 teachers and learners. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- White, K. (2019). Unlocked: Assessment as the key to everyday creativity in the classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded formative assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.