Leading a Systemic Approach to Well-Being for Educators
Wellness for teachers and support staff means so much more than taking time for self-care. It requires systemwide change supported by leadership. This book provides K–12 administrators with a framework and tools to address the stress that impacts daily life for the majority of educators.
- Understand why well-being matters in education.
- Learn about research-based, SEL-focused self-care practices.
- Improve leadership skills to better support well-being in school communities.
- Access real-world examples that illustrate how these practices work.
- Build better systems to improve both personal and collective well-being.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Why: Why Well-Being Matters
Chapter 2: The Self: The Beauty of and Problems With Self-Care
Chapter 3: The Other: Social Connection and Belonging
Chapter 4: The Other: Psychological Safety
Chapter 5: The System: Change Is Possible
- Figure 2.1: Examples of Ways to Acknowledge All Three Parts of Well-Being
- Figure 2.3: The Ladder of Inference
- Steps to Build and Use Self-Awareness
- Steps to Build External Self-Awareness
- Figure 3.1: Mediation Script Example
- Check-In Protocol for Building Self-Awareness, Team Connection, and Belonging
- Protocol for Appreciative Inquiry
- Identifying Negativity Bias and Determining Actions and Belonging Cues
- Cohen, R. K., Opatosky, D. K., Savage, J., Stevens, S. O., & Darrah, E. P. (2021). The metacognitive student: How to teach academic, social, and emotional intelligence in every content area. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Mattos, M., & Muhammad, A. (2021). Revisiting PLCs at Work: Proven insights for sustained, substantive school improvement (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Michael, M. (2022). From burnt out to fired up: Reigniting your passion for teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Porosoff, L., & Weinstein, J. (2023). EMPOWER moves for social-emotional learning: Tools and strategies to evoke student values. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- “2017 Educator Quality of Work Life Survey”
- “CASEL’s SEL Framework”
- “Curriculum Redesign”
- “Daily Average Time Spent in Hours on Various Activities by Age Group and Sex, 15 Years and Over, Canada and Provinces”
- “Dancing With Systems”
- “Getting Ahead of the Perfect Legal Storm”
- “K–12 Staff Stress and Burnout”
- “Ladder of Inference”
- “National Standard”
- “Our Approach”
- “Principals’ Work and Well-Being in British Columbia”
- “Reach Out: An Employer’s Guide to Using Behavioral Insights in Supporting Staff Mental Health and Wellbeing”
- “School Climate and Social Fields”
- “Staff Well-Being in Schools”
- “System Archetype”
- “Testing and Adapting Two Innovative Approaches to Workplace Wellbeing in K–12 Education”
- "The Insight Quiz”
- “The ROI in Workplace Mental Health Programs”
- “Why We Need Best Friends at Work"