The Beginning Teacher’s Field Guide
Embarking on Your First Years
The joys and pains of starting a teaching career often go undiscussed. This guide explores the personal side of teaching, outlining classroom strategies and self-care practices.
- Understand the feelings and teaching challenges of each phase during a beginning teacher’s career.
- Practice self-care to combat beginning and first-year teacher stress and burnout; avoid the mental pitfalls that so often lead to teachers changing careers.
- Learn effective classroom-management strategies for new teachers and how to maintain positive relationships with students.
- Respond to prompts that will help you process and reflect on your first years’ culmination.
- Utilize the prompts and journaling spaces throughout the book to reflect on your professional improvements and successes.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: First Things First
Chapter 1: The Anticipation Phase
Chapter 2: The Survival Phase
Chapter 3: The Disillusionment Phase
Chapter 4: The Rejuvenation Phase
Chapter 5: The Reflection Phase
Chapter 6: The Second Anticipation Phase
Epilogue: The Year in Retrospect
Appendix A: End-of-the-Year Activities
Appendix B: Mementos
- End-of-the-Year Letter
- Formative Assessment Scale
- Getting to Know You
- Inspirational Quotes
- Students Feedback
- Survival Guide Advice
- Boogren, T. (2015). Supporting Beginning Teachers. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research
- Marzano, R. J. (2012). Becoming a Reflective Teacher. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press
- Angela Watson, “Teachers’ Best Organization Ideas”
- Go Noodle
- MediaShift, “Idea Lab”
- The New York Times
- The Oriental Trading Company, “Teacher Supplies”
- PBS, “NOVA”
- PBS, Video
- Today in History
Inspirational Quotes and Stories
- HuffPost, “Teacher Appreciation”
- Insight of the Day
- Motivational Quote of the Day
- The Quote Garden
- Reader’s Digest, “Inspiring Stories”
- TEDTalks, “Talks About Inspiring Teachers”
- Get Grounded
- Insight Timer
- Simply Being
- Stop, Breathe & Think