Optimizing Brain Systems to Maximize Learning
Imagine schools where everyone learns at high levels. Not just some students. Every student. This resource aims to help educators bring these schools to life through the power of neurodevelopmental differentiation. Backed by scientific and educational research, the book outlines how to assess and build students’ inherent strengths in eight major areas in order to increase engagement, mastery, and ultimately, success.
- Study eight brain processing systems and understand how developing strengths in these areas increases academic success.
- Discover how to identify students’ learning strengths and needs.
- Learn how to develop individualized learning plans to fit the needs of all students.
- Contemplate reflective questions on the eight brain areas to determine next steps in your own classroom.
- Utilize free online reproducibles to further your understanding of the material presented in the book.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Spatial Reasoning
Chapter 2: Perceptual and Motor Skills
Chapter 3: Concentration and Memory
Chapter 4: Planning and Sequencing
Chapter 5: Thinking and Logic
Chapter 6: People Smarts
Chapter 7: Language and Word Smarts
Chapter 8: Number Smarts
Chapter 9: Implementing Neurodevelopmental Differentiation
- Figure 1.3: List of Issues With Spatial Reasoning
- Figure 2.2: List of Issues With Perceptual and Motor Skills
- Figure 2.3: List of Issues With Primitive Reflexes
- Figure 3.3: List of Issues With Concentration and Memory
- Figure 4.4: List of Issues With Planning and Sequencing
- Figure 5.2: List of Issues With Thinking and Logic
- Figure 6.2: List of Issues With People Smarts
- Figure 6.4: Statements and the Fears Behind Them
- Figure 6.5: Influence-Mapping Template
- Figure 7.3: List of Issues With Language and Word Smarts
- Figure 8.4: List of Issues With Number Smarts
- Learning or Subject-Area Profile Tool
- Individual Learning Strength Student Tool
- The Neurodevelopmental Differentiation Individualized Learning Plan
- Mason, C., Murphy, M. M. R., & Jackson, Y. (2019). Mindfulness practices: Cultivating heart centered communities where students focus and flourish. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- McDowell, M. (2020). Teaching for transfer: A guide for designing learning with real-world application. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Sousa, D. A., & Tomlinson, C. A. (2018). Differentiation and the brain: How neuroscience supports the learner-friendly classroom (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.