Essential Literacy Skills to Support Achievement in Every Content Area
This book will provide teachers with the tools they need to embed core literacy skills into every subject matter in a way that supports developing students in becoming better readers, writers, thinkers, and speakers—no matter the content area.
- Expand their teaching methods to include literacy skills.
- Introduce literacy into daily lesson planning.
- Embed reading comprehension into any subject area.
- Create a positive classroom culture through relevant and relatable vocabulary strategies.
- Scaffold instruction using literacy strategies to boost subject-area comprehension.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Prioritize Essential Skills in Your Classroom
Chapter 2: Foster a Sustainable Classroom Culture
Chapter 3: Unpack Academic Standards to Identify Essential Skills
Chapter 4: Harness Brain-Based Teaching Techniques
Chapter 5: Locate the Main Idea and Identify Supporting Details
Chapter 6: Compose a Summary
Chapter 7: Interpret and Apply Academic Vocabulary
Chapter 8: Identify and Apply Inference
Chapter 9: Identify and Understand Cause–Effect Relationships
Chapter 10: Identify and Understand Relationships Using Compare and Contrast
Chapter 11: Delineate and Evaluate Arguments
- Details Detector Graphic Organizer
- Planning Lessons Around Essential Skills
- Main Idea With Supporting Details Organizer
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking action: A handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Grafwallner, P. (2020). Ready to learn: The FRAME model for optimizing student success. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Grafwallner, P. (2021). Not yet . . . and that’s OK: How productive struggle fosters student learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Harlacher, J. E., & Whitcomb, S. A. (2022). Bolstering student resilience: Creating a classroom with consistency, connection, and compassion. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Saunders, E. (2023). Stick the learning: Brain-based teaching techniques to increase retention, application, and transfer. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Stobaugh, R. (2023). 30+ movement strategies to boost cognitive engagement: Activating minds and bodies to maximize student learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.