Despite reform efforts, reading growth flatlines in the secondary years. Literacy Reframed provides a game-changing new way to think about—and teach—literacy. This resource helps educators boost reading comprehension and engagement through powerful, reframed strategies for teaching decoding, phonics, and vocabulary.
- Gain a thoroughly researched background on the current issues and challenges in the world of literacy.
- Understand how phonics gives students a foundation in decoding words and the mechanics of reading to underpin a lifetime of literacy success.
- Grasp the necessity of immersing students in vocabulary words throughout their classroom experience.
- Discover how background knowledge is essential to reading comprehension and becoming literate.
- Consider the role of digital reading in a literacy-rich classroom.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: The Sound of Reading—Decoding and Phonics
Chapter 2: The Look of Reading—Vocabulary
Chapter 3: The Knowingness of Reading—Background Knowledge
Chapter 4: Digital Reading
Conclusion: The Promise of Literacy Reframed
- Chalk Talk—Bats and Fats: Cave Creatures
- Chalk Talk—Feathers and Fish
- Chalk Talk—Spotted Friends
- Chalk Talk—Which Way?
- Chalk Talk—The Zebra Garden
- Figure 1.2: Chalk Talk Example—The Butterfly, the Beast, and the Bumblebee
- Figure 3.3: Calculus Curriculum Document
- Figure 3.4: Grade 3 ELA Curriculum Document
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., & Karhanek, G. (2010). Raising the Bar and Closing the Gap: Whatever It Takes. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Simms, J. A., & Marzano, R. J. (2019). The New Art and Science of Teaching Reading. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Association for Psychological Science, “Ending the Reading Wars: Reading Acquisition From Novice to Expert”
- Education Endowment Foundation, “Phonics”
- Poll Everywhere
- “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out”
- Springer, “Reconsidering the Evidence That Systematic Phonics Is More Effective Than Alternative Methods of Reading Instruction”
- YouTube, “The Periodic Table Song”
- Renaissance Accelerated Reader
- Robin Fogarty and Associates, “Literacy Reframed”
- YouTube, “How the Brain Learns to Read—Prof. Stanislas Dehaene”
- Core Knowledge
- Google Hangouts
- Knowledge Matters Campaign
- Storyline Online, “Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge read by Bradley Whitford”
- Central Intelligence Agency, “The World Factbook”
- Edutopia, “Social Annotation in the Digital Age”
- Google News Archive
- History Channel
- Library of Congress
- Library of Congress, “Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, Gettysburg”
- National Archives, “Rare Photo of Lincoln at Gettysburg”
- Resilient Option
- Smithsonian Institution Archives