Leading Beyond Intention
Six Areas to Deepen Reflection and Planning in Your PLC at Work®
School improvement starts with leaders. Take a deep dive into personal leadership skills and gain practical strategies for building capacity among your staff, growing your efficacy, and leading with intentionality each and every day.
- Understand what it means to lead from within and develop a personal plan of action.
- Explore the six core principles of leadership.
- Access useful templates and tools that support both reflection and action.
- Discover insights through reflection on your own personal journey as a leader.
- Gain strategies from other leaders in education for navigating both difficulties and successes.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Bravely Leading From Within
Chapter 2: Leading With Coaching
Chapter 3: Leading Through Conflict and Challenge
Chapter 4: Leading Change With Accountability
Chapter 5: Going the Extra Mile (and Looking After Yourself)
Chapter 6: Learning Always and From Everywhere
- Figure 1.1: Reflection—Brave Leadership Interactions
- Figure 1.5: Reflection—Seeking Understanding
- Figure 1.6: Leader Reflection—Five Brave Actions
- Making an Impact in Six: Bravely Leading From Within
- Figure 2.2: Using the Three Leadership Stances
- Figure 2.3: The Seven Questions
- Figure 2.4: Situational Questions
- Making an Impact in Six: Leading With Coaching
- Figure 3.1: Guiding Questions for Reflection as You Lead Through Conflict and Challenge
- Figure 3.2: Reflection—Behaviors Before Belief
- Figure 3.3: Reflection—Adult Behaviors
- Figure 3.4: Steps in Critical Conversations
- Making an Impact in Six: Leading Through Conflict and Challenge
- Figure 4.2: Identifying Skill-Building Actions to Support a Result-Focused Culture
- Figure 4.4: Practicing the Continuous Change Cycle for a Result-Focused Culture
- Figure 4.6: Reflection—Requirements for Change
- Figure 4.7: Four-Step Data Protocol
- Making an Impact in Six: Leading Change With Accountability
- Figure 5.1: Reflection—Personal Commitment
- Figure 5.2: The TOTAL Picture
- Figure 5.3: Sample Daily Time Log
- Figure 5.4: Assessment Tool for Simplifying Focus and Actions in Daily Practice
- Figure 5.5: Self-Reflection to Avoid Unintentional Seeds of Doubt
- Figure 5.6: Strategies for Focus and Strength to Ward Off Intentional Seeds of Doubt
- Figure 5.7: Reflection—Next Steps for Work-Life Balance
- Making an Impact in Six: Going the Extra Mile (and Looking After Yourself)
- Figure 6.1: Using the Three Ps to Grow Leadership Practices
- Figure 6.3: Personalizing the Level 5 Leadership Hierarchy for Growth and Reflection
- Figure 6.4: Reflection—Shared Leadership
- Making an Impact in Six: Learning Always and From Everywhere
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking action: A handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The handbook for SMART school teams: Revitalizing best practices for collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. J. (2011). Leaders of learning: How district, school, and classroom leaders improve student achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Eaker, R. (2020). A summing up: Teaching and learning in effective schools and PLCs at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kanold, T. D. (2017). HEART! Fully forming your professional life as a teacher and leader. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Muhammad, A. (2018). Transforming school culture: How to overcome staff division (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Muhammad, A., & Cruz, L. F. (2019). Time for change: Four essential skills for transformational school and district leaders. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- O’Neill, J., & Conzemius, A. E. (2006). The power of SMART goals: Using goals to improve student learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Reeves, D. (2020). Achieving equity and excellence: Immediate results from the lessons of high-poverty, high-success schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Spiller, J., & Power, K. (2019). Leading with intention: Eight areas for reflection and planning in your PLC at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.