School Improvement for All
With this practical guide, K–12 educators will target specific needs with an immediate course of action within a professional learning community.
- Learn how to drive increased academic achievement for all students.
- Consider anecdotes from the authors’ experiences working with schools that illustrate best practices in action.
- Contemplate your school’s reality, and determine what actions you can take to improve student achievement.
- Plan for structural changes that will produce the school culture your school seeks.
- Use helpful protocols, rubrics, and action and assessment plans found throughout the book.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Charting a Course Focused on Learning
Chapter 2: Transforming Culture and Structures
Chapter 3: Focusing on 21st Century Learners
Chapter 4: Establishing a Common Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum
Chapter 5: Creating and Using Common Assessments
Chapter 6: Planning Meaningful and Effective Instruction
Chapter 7: Embracing Accountability
Epilogue: School Improvement for All—Start Now!
Develop a clear path toward your goals by using the free study guide.
- Figure 1.1: Leadership Team Selection Protocol
- Figure 1.2: Data-Collection Protocol
- Figure 1.3: Focus-Group Protocol
- Figure 1.4: Shared-Vision Protocol
- Figure 1.8: The Work of Collaborative Teams
- Figure 1.9: Chart a Course Focused on Learning Rubric
- Figure 1.10: Chart a Course Focused on Learning Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 2.1: Staff Questions to Assess Culture
- Figure 2.2: Issue-to-Solution Graphic Organizer
- Figure 2.3: Symbol and Artifact Walk Recording Sheet
- Figure 2.4: Traditions Past and Future
- Figure 2.5: Culture Rubric
- Figure 2.6: Transforming Culture Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 3.1: Protocol to Build Self-Efficacy for Teaching All Students
- Figure 3.2: Unit Intervention and Remediation Planning
- Figure 3.3: Schoolwide Strategies and Tools Protocol
- Figure 3.4: Classroom Walkthrough Tool
- Figure 3.5: 21st Century Learners Rubric
- Figure 3.6: Focus on 21st Century Learners Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 4.1: Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Figure 4.2: Identify Priority Standards
- Figure 4.5: Proficiency Map Checklist
- Figure 4.6: Proficiency Map Template
- Figure 4.9: Tool for Unpacking a Standard Into Learning Targets
- Figure 4.10: General Unit Plan Template
- Figure 4.11: Proficiency Map Rubric
- Figure 4.12: Unpacking Standards to Student Learning Targets Rubric
- Figure 4.13: Unit Plan Rubric
- Figure 4.14: Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 5.1: Instruction and Assessment Vision Protocol
- Figure 5.2: Standard to Proficiency Scale Mathematics Example
- Figure 5.3: Standard to Proficiency Scale Social Studies Example
- Figure 5.4: Standards to Proficiency Scales Tool
- Figure 5.5: Assessment Design Tool
- Figure 5.6: Target-Test Analysis
- Figure 5.8: Team Assessment Scoring Protocol
- Figure 5.11: Data-Analysis Protocol
- Figure 5.12: Student Self-Reflection Protocol
- Figure 5.13: Student Tracker Example
- Figure 5.15: Common Formative Assessment Plan
- Figure 5.16: Common Assessment Rubric
- Figure 5.17: Data-Analysis Rubric
- Figure 5.18: Common Assessment Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 6.2: Student Reflection Expectations Protocol
- Figure 6.3: Student Self-Assessment and Reflection Sheet
- Figure 6.4: Lesson-Design Protocol
- Figure 6.6: Instructional Observation Recording Tool
- Figure 6.7: Re-engagement Protocol
- Figure 6.8: Instructional Practices Rubric
- Figure 6.9: Effective Instruction Reflection and Action Plan
- Figure 7.1: Examples and Nonexamples of Addressing the Critical Questions for Student Learning
- Figure 7.2: SMART Goal Examples
- Figure 7.3: SMART Goal Plan Protocol
- Figure 7.4: Observation Sheet
- Figure 7.5: Status-Check Protocol
- Figure 7.6: Accountability Rubric
- Figure 7.7: Embrace Accountability Reflection and Action Plan
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2012). Simplifying Response to Intervention: Four Essential Guiding Principles. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Depka, E. (2017). Raising the Rigor: Effective Questioning Strategies and Techniques for the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Toncheff, M., & Kanold, T. D. (2015). Beyond the Common Core: A Handbook for Mathematics in a PLC at Work, High School. T. D. Kanold (Ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.