Great learning starts when students believe in their academic abilities. In You Can Learn!, authors Tim Brown and William M. Ferriter introduce intentional and purposeful steps collaborative teams can take to increase the self-efficacy of every learner. By incorporating the book's research-backed practices, professional learning communities will cultivate a culture where students at every grade level see themselves as competent learners fully capable of succeeding in school and beyond.
- Understand why self-efficacy in the classroom is important for student achievement and well-being.
- Extend the PLC at Work® process into your classroom and share it with students in order to motivate, inspire, and guide learning.
- Discover how to implement efficacy-building practices designed around foundational PLC elements.
- Study a research-based approach to student engagement that spans grade levels and subject areas.
- Review recommendations for how to start utilizing the strategies outlined in each chapter.
- Utilize reproducible templates and tools to enhance individual and team understanding of the material.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Building a Commitment to Learning in Students
Chapter 2: Helping Students Understand the Expectations for a Unit of Study
Chapter 3: Helping Students Assess Their Progress Toward Mastery
Chapter 4: Helping Students Take Action
- Looking Closely at What Our School’s Chant, Motto, or Slogan Means
- Earning a Brick to Add to Our School’s Foundation
- Developing Classroom Norms
- Self-Reflecting on Our Classroom Norms
- Developing Student Promise Statements
- Self-Reflecting on My Promise Statement
- Developing Relevance Statements for a Unit of Study
- Relevance Statement for a Unit of Study
- Developing a Success Checklist for an Assignment
- Success Checklist for a Primary Assignment
- Success Checklist for a Secondary Assignment
- Developing Exemplars to Make Learning Intentions Explicit
- Developing a Set of Exemplars to Make Learning Intentions Explicit
- Developing a Single-Point Rubric With Your Students
- Student Rework Plan
- WOW Goals
- Rating and Ranking Student SMART Goals
- Developing a Student SMART Goal
- Unit Overview Sheet
- Primary Progress Tracking Card
- Practice Test Tracking Template
- Assessment Wrapper—Second-Grade Measurement
- Using Next-Step Checklists to Help Students Take Next Steps
- Creating Efficacy Sentence Starters for Primary Students
- Developing an Extension Menu for a Unit of Study
- Extension Menu for Upcoming Unit of Study
- Student Self-Reporting Six-Week Grade Check-In
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The handbook for SMART school teams: Revitalizing best practices for collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & DuFour, R. (2012). The school leader’s guide to Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Ferriter, W. M. (2020). The big book of tools for collaborative teams in a PLC at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Ferriter, W. M., & Cancellieri, P. J. (2017). Creating a culture of feedback: Solutions for creating the learning spaces students deserve. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Gobble, T., Onuscheck, M., Reibel, A. R., & Twadell, E. (2016). Proficiency-based assessment: Process, not product. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kanold, T. D. (2021). SOUL! Fulfilling the promise of your professional life as a teacher and leader. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kerr, D., Hulen, T. A., Heller, J., & Butler, B. K. (2021). What about us? The PLC at Work process for grades preK‒2 teams. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The new art and science of teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Pickering, D. J., & Heflebower, T. (2011). The highly engaged classroom. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Muhammad, A. (2017). Transforming school culture: How to overcome staff division (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Roberts, M. (2019). Enriching the learning: Meaningful extensions for proficient students in a PLC at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Williams, K. C., & Hierck, T. (2015). Starting a movement: Building culture from the inside out in professional learning communities. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded formative assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.