Small Changes, Big Impact Reproducibles
Ten Strategies to Promote Student Efficacy and Lifelong Learning
Designed as a guide to school reform, this resource outlines a series of ten small-scale changes powerful enough to make a lasting impact. Promote K–12 student growth through research-based instructional strategies, performance-based assessments, and social-emotional learning (SEL).
- Understand how to redefine student success as efficacy and ownership of learning.
- Gain research-based instructional strategies and teaching methods for creating student-centered mission statements that promote student success, self-reliance, and social-emotional learning (SEL).
- Explore how to use performance-based assessments as a process for learning.
- Examine the qualities of growth-based feedback to promote a future pathway for achievement.
- Obtain tools for developing dynamic reporting structures that communicate stories of learning and promote self-evaluation.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Redefine Student Success
Chapter 2: Create Student-Centered Mission Statements
Chapter 3: Organize the Curriculum Around Skills, Not Content
Chapter 4: Develop Student-Centered Rubrics
Chapter 5: Use Assessment as a Process for Learning
Chapter 6: Implement a Generative Learning Model of Instruction
Chapter 7: Provide Critical, Growth-Based Feedback
Chapter 8: Leverage Reflection and Reperformance
Chapter 9: Use Evidence-Based Grading Practices
Chapter 10: Establish Dynamic Reporting Structures
- Gathering the Right Evidence
- Planning Assessment and Instruction as a Continual Learning and Reflection Process
- Changing Diagnostic Feedback to Prescriptive Feedback
- Success Criteria That Lends Itself to Co-Constructed Feedback
- Erkens, C. (2016). Collaborative Common Assessments: Teamwork. Instruction. Results. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2018). Instructional Agility: Responding to Assessment With Real-Time Decisions. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Gobble, T., Onuscheck, M., Reibel, A. R., & Twadell, E. (2016). Proficiency-Based Assessment: Process, Not Product. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Gobble, T., Onuscheck, M., Reibel, A. R., & Twadell, E. (2017). Pathways to Proficiency: Implementing Evidence-Based Grading. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Guskey, T. R. (2015). On Your Mark: Challenging the Conventions of Grading and Reporting. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Guskey, T. R. (2020). Get Set, Go: Creating Successful Grading and Reporting Systems. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Schimmer, T., Hillman, G., & Stalets, M. (2018). Standards-Based Learning in Action: Moving From Theory to Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Twadell, E., Onuscheck, M., Reibel, A. R., & Gobble, T. (2019). Proficiency-Based Instruction: Rethinking Lesson Design and Delivery. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- White, K. (2017). Softening the Edges: Assessment Practices That Honor K–12 Teachers and Learners. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.