The Handbook for Collaborative Common Assessments
A companion to Collaborative Common Assessments, this practical handbook presents measures for improving your collaborative common assessment process. Evaluate your common assessments’ ability to provide actionable insights into student learning and success.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the collaborative assessment process.
- Discover how to ensure the accuracy and reliability of assessments and analyze student data gained from collaborative common assessments.
- Identify student misconceptions in the classroom to better plan educational interventions and collaborative instruction.
- Answer reflection questions to ensure collaborative teams are concentrating on the right work.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Teamwork. Instruction. Results.
Chapter 1: Understanding Collaborative Common Assessment
Chapter 2: Evidence and Research Supporting the Collaborative Common Assessment Process
Chapter 3: The Preparation Phase
Chapter 4: The Design Phase
Chapter 5: The Delivery Phase
Chapter 6: The Data Phase
Chapter 7: The Re-Engagement Phase
- Figure 1.1: Transforming Collective Statements Into Commitment Statements
- Figure 1.2: A Pictorial Representation of the Collaborative Common Assessment Process
- Figure 1.3: Quality Indicators for Collaborative Common Assessments
- Figure 3.2: Guidelines for Creating Team Norms
- Figure 3.3: Protocol for Developing Team Norms
- Figure 3.4: Protocol for Prioritizing Standards
- Figure 3.6: Protocol for Identifying Core Competencies or Modern Literacies
- Template for Prioritizing Standards
- Template for Identifying Core Competencies or Modern Literacies
- SMART Goal Plan Template
- SMART Goal Data-Tracking Tool
- Figure 4.2: A Protocol for Unpacking Standards
- Figure 4.6: Protocol for Developing Proficiency Scales
- Figure 4.7: Rubric Template
- Assessment Pathway Planning Template
- Summative Assessment Planning Template
- Common Formative Assessment Design Considerations
- Assessment Review Protocol 1
- Assessment Review Protocol 2
- Figure 5.1: Protocol for Clarifying Learning Targets With Students
- Figure 5.2: Protocol for Preassessing Students’ Understanding of Learning Expectations
- Figure 5.3: Protocol for Co-Creating Rubrics With Students
- Figure 5.4: Protocol for Practicing Classwide Scoring on Items or Tasks
- Figure 5.5: Protocol for Teaching Learners to Give Quality Feedback
- Figure 5.6: Protocol for Engaging Learners in Self- and Peer Assessment
- Figure 5.7: Protocol for Setting Goals
- Figure 6.2: Error-Analysis Protocol
- Protocols for Examining Evidence and Artifacts
- Data Protocol 1: Exploratory Dialogue
- Data Protocol 2: Structured Conversations for Team Learning From Evidence
- Data Protocol 3: Data Analysis for Team Learning
- Response-Planning Template for Students Needing Practice or Enrichment
- Response-Planning Template for Students Needing Support
- Figure 7.2: Unit-Planning Template for Re-Engagement Strategies and Tools
- Figure 7.4: Checklist for Designing Enrichments
- Figure 7.5: Protocol for Team-Based Research of Best Practice
- Figure 7.6: Database Template for Documenting the Effectiveness of Instructional Responses
- Annotated Research Notes Template
- Action Research Planning Tool
- Bailey, K., & Jakicic, C. (2012). Common Formative Assessment: A Toolkit for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The Handbook for SMART School Teams: Revitalizing Best Practices for Collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (2008). Revisiting Professional Learning Communities at Work: New Insights for Improving Schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Fullan, M. (2013). Cultures Built to Last: Systemic PLCs at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. J. (2011). Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C. (2016). Collaborative Common Assessments: Teamwork. Instruction. Results. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2017). Essential Assessment: Six Tenets for Bringing Hope, Efficacy, and Achievement to the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2018). Instructional Agility: Responding to Assessment With Real-Time Decisions. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2019). Growing Tomorrow’s Citizens in Today’s Classrooms: Assessing Seven Critical Competencies. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., & Twadell, E. (2012). Leading by Design: An Action Framework for PLC at Work Leaders. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2009). Designing and Teaching Learning Goals and Objectives. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J., Yanoski, D. C., Hoegh, J. K., & Simms, J. A. (2013). Using Common Core Standards to Enhance Classroom Instruction and Assessment. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Muhammad, A. (2018). Transforming School Culture: How to Overcome Staff Division (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Vagle, N. D. (2015). Design in Five: Essential Phases to Create Engaging Assessment Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded Formative Assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.