Timothy D. Kanold
Timothy D. Kanold, PhD, an award-winning educator and author, is former superintendent of Adlai E. Stevenson High School District 125, a Model PLC at Work® district in Lincolnshire, Illinois.
Timothy D. Kanold
Watch Timothy D. Kanold discuss collaboration with a team of educators.
Timothy D. Kanold, PhD, is an award-winning educator and author, and a national thought leader in mathematics. He is former director of mathematics and science and served as superintendent of Adlai E. Stevenson High School District 125, a Model PLC at Work® district in Lincolnshire, Illinois.
Dr. Kanold is committed to equity and excellence for students, faculty, and school administrators. He conducts highly motivational professional development leadership seminars worldwide with a focus on turning school vision into realized action that creates greater equity for students through the effective delivery of the PLC process by faculty and administrators.
He is a past president of the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM) and coauthor of several best-selling mathematics textbooks over several decades. Dr. Kanold has authored or coauthored thirteen books on K–12 mathematics and school leadership since 2011, including the 2018 Gold Medal IPPY Award–winning and best-selling book HEART! He also has served on writing commissions for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) and has authored numerous articles and chapters on school leadership and development for education publications since 2006.
Dr. Kanold received the 2017 Ross Taylor/Glenn Gilbert National Leadership Award from the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics, the international 2010 Damen Award for outstanding contributions to the leadership field of education from Loyola University Chicago, 1986 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, and 1994 Outstanding Administrator Award from the Illinois State Board of Education. He serves as an adjunct faculty member for the graduate school at Loyola University Chicago.
Dr. Kanold earned a bachelor’s degree in education and a master’s degree in mathematics from Illinois State University. He also completed a master’s degree in educational administration at the University of Illinois and received a doctorate in educational leadership and counseling psychology from Loyola University Chicago.To learn more about Timothy D. Kanold’s work, visit his blog, Turning Vision Into Action and follow him on Twitter at @tkanold.
Wellness Solutions for Educators™️
Certified associates in Wellness Solutions for Educators™️ deliver a research-backed approach to overall teacher well-being that focuses on four key dimensions--physical, mental, social, and emotional—to help you bring your best self to your students and colleagues each day.
Presentations by Timothy D. Kanold
For Mathematics Program Improvement
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Developing High-Quality Unit Assessments with a Balance of Procedural Fluency, Conceptual Understanding, and Application Tasks
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Analyzing Teacher Team Unit Assessment Results with Student and Teacher Intervention and Response to Learning
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Developing High-Quality Mathematics Instruction Elements with Higher-Cognitive-Demand Tasks, Prior-Knowledge Task Development, and Student-Engaged Learning as Part of the Instructional Design
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Using High-Quality Mathematics Instruction Processes, Instructional Walkthroughs, and Team Transparency as Part of the Teacher and Student Learning Community Growth and Improvement
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Developing and Implementing High-Quality Homework and Grading Assignments and Practices, Ensuring the Success of Each and Every Child
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Developing High Quality Mathematics Coaching and Collaboration—What Is the Real Work of Your PLC Collaborative Team for Mathematics?
- Mathematics in a PLC at Work: Erasing Inequities in Your Current School Mathematics Program—Providing a Mathematics Program Audit with Recommendations for Course Sequencing, Grade Level Standards Scope and Sequence, Student Placement Procedures, and High-Quality Intervention Evaluation—with SMART Goal Recommendations for Future Success
For PLC School Culture Development
- The Heart of the PLC Life: The Role of Happiness in the Workplace Culture and the Passion-Compassion Connection to Our Professional Work Life
- The Heart of the PLC Life: The Role of Engagement, High Energy, and Effort in the Workplace Culture and How to Live a Fully Engaged and Well-Balanced Professional Work Life
- The Heart of the PLC Life: The Role of Alliances and Relational Intelligence in Developing Effective Collaboration Teams in Your School Culture
- The Heart of the PLC Life: The Role of Risk-Taking and Change in the Workplace and Understanding the Vision-Results Expectations for Successful Change Initiatives
- The Heart of the PLC Life: The Role of Thought and Wisdom in Your Professional Life—What Are the Required Elements of Highly Effective PLC School Cultures?
For Central Office and School Site Leadership
- Leading a Districtwide PLC Process: Creating Sustainability and Coherence Throughout Your School Organization Using the Four Critical Questions of the PLC Process
- Leading a Districtwide PLC Process: Turning Vision into Implemented Action and Understanding the Critical Marriage of Accountability with Celebration in Your Leadership Life
- Leading a Districtwide PLC Process: Creating a Culture of Empowerment through Service and Sharing
- Leading a Districtwide PLC Process: The Five Most Critical Moves of Effective School Leaders—Leading from the Heart and the Hand of Your Work Life
“The time he spent with us was very valuable in helping us to develop our plans and move forward in a way that will benefit the teachers and students in our district.”