Loving What They Learn
Research-Based Strategies to Increase Student Engagement
Achieve high engagement by building competence, autonomy, and content relevance in students, resulting in positive academic self-concept and self-efficacy. Readers will gain research-based instructional strategies for connecting with disengaged students and building positive student-teacher relationships
Research-based strategies for increasing student engagement and building self-efficacy.
Deep learning is possible for all students, regardless of subject, grade, or previous experience. In Loving What They Learn, author Alexander McNeece explains how high engagement nurtures the needs—for competence, autonomy, and content relevance—that students have, provides tools to measure how well those needs are being met in the classroom, and reveals science-based strategies that fill the gap.
See how to increase learner engagement:
- Study the engagement gap’s impacts and how to create a lasting culture that bridges that gap, developing a growth mindset in learners.
- Encounter real-world anecdotes about different students, and see the research-based learning strategies in action.
- Become familiar with student needs and the effect their fulfillment has on student engagement and achievement.
- Discover dozens of research-backed teaching strategies that help fulfill students’ various cognitive and affective needs, giving them increased autonomy and self-efficacy in the classroom.
- Self-assess how well engagement is cultivated in four domains, and compare those results with student engagement inventory data.
Product Code: BKF917
Published By: Solution Tree
Page Count: 192
“This book provides a clear argument about the importance of student engagement and its direct link to teacher pedagogy. McNeece's ideas to improve student ownership and participation are both research-driven and practical. The insights and ideas presented in this book are so compelling that a teacher, at any stage of his or her career, will be inspired to be better.”
“Any educator who is looking to boost student engagement and increase achievement in their classroom should begin Alex's book today! Your educational practices will change forever as you embrace the concept that every student can engage. I learned so much from the book and cannot wait to use it with my staff.”
“All educators will benefit from McNeece’s practical strategies and tools in this book. Our school had the opportunity to work with McNeece last year. Our school discipline [issues] decreased by 8 percent. Currently, we have twenty-six fewer discipline referrals than we had at this time last year. I attribute that to our work with McNeece.”