Engaging Students at Risk Through the Power of Relationships
Nurture positive student-teacher relationships to improve student engagement, behavior, and achievement for youth at risk. Research shows that discipline problems are one of the greatest challenges in education. In Building Bridges, author Don Parker shows educators how to address this issue head-on.
Add this eBook to your credit card purchase and gain immediate access.
eBooks are available on desktop, Android, and iOS via Adobe Digital Editions. eBook purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. Please visit the eBook FAQ for more information.
Building Positive Student-Teacher Relationships
Research shows that discipline problems are prevalent in public schools and continue to be one of the greatest challenges in education. In Building Bridges, author Don Parker shows educators how to address this issue head-on. He shares an array of evidence-based strategies to build teacher-student relationships and create a welcoming learning environment that fosters student engagement, motivation, and achievement.
Support students at risk by creating a positive school culture and building trust:
- Consider the student behaviors, characteristics, and experiences that are typically barriers to success in school.
- Learn how and why punitive punishments and zero-tolerance policies have failed to curb poor behavior in schools or provide adequate interventions for struggling students.
- Understand the importance of teacher-student relationships in teaching students at risk and the ways in which trust and positive relationships improve student behavior.
- Develop your ability to build positive teacher-student relationships through educational techniques, classroom management strategies, and teaching methods.
- Study the research that supports the many academic and social benefits of positive teacher-student relationships when teaching students at risk.
- Examine the ways in which school culture and climate affect the behavior of students and classroom engagement.
Product Code: BKF846,EKF439
Published By: Solution Tree
Page Count: 200
“In Building Bridges, author Don Parker delivers a powerful book on how to build meaningful relationships with students at risk of failing in school. As a seasoned and effective urban schoolteacher and principal, Parker understands firsthand why relationships, compassion, and empathy for students matter and are prerequisites to academic success. This book is a must-read for anyone working with students who are at risk but have the potential for greatness.”
“Building Bridges is an insightful guide packed with information for educators, especially those who work with students at risk. Author Don Parker cites evidence-based research and offers practical strategies to help educators build and maintain strong teacher-student relationships.”
“I love the format of Don Parker’s amazing book, Building Bridges. I am inspired by his own life story and his ability to draw the reader into the content. Parker’s research, self-reflection, and practical strategies to help build significant and effective relationships will provide powerful outcomes for readers and the students they serve. This book is a must-read for all professions working to make a difference in young people’s lives.”
“Building Bridges is a practical, research-based pedagogy that captures the essence of necessary teacher-student interactions and transcends the realm of the classroom, while preparing students for college and career readiness that is the foundation for success in a global world.”
I just received my copy of Building Bridges: Engaging Students at Risk Through the Power of Relationships by my man and principal colleague, Dr. Don Parker (@BestPathway) I actually read this book when it was in manuscript form and fully endorse it. pic.twitter.com/zmwtNw5emw— Principal Kafele (Baruti K. Kafele) (@PrincipalKafele) April 29, 2019
When can I access my eBook? Your eBook will be accessible through VitalSource once your payment has been processed.*
*When using a check or purchase order, the order submitted online will not be processed until Solution Tree receives the check or a copy of the signed official purchase order. Your purchase order must note payment terms of net 30 days. We cannot process purchase orders that do not note these payment terms. Please submit all payments to [email protected].
How do I access my eBook?
To access your eBook:
- Create a free VitalSource account by visiting VitalSource.com. If you already have a VitalSource account, please log in to your account.
- Paste the redemption code that Solution Tree will email you in the “Redemption Code” field on VitalSource.com/Redeem. (Note: You can also access your redemption code within your Solution Tree account under the “eBook” section.)
- Click “Redeem.”
- Enjoy! Once your code is redeemed, your book will be added to your VitalSource Bookshelf and can be read anytime, anywhere.
What are the technical requirements for accessing the eBook? A VitalSource account is required. To sign up for your free account, please visit VitalSource.com.
What are the shipping and handling costs? There are no shipping or handling costs associated with eBooks. For paperback and hardcover book purchases, standard shipping costs apply. Please visit the Product Orders page for more information on shipping and handling costs.
Can I purchase multiple copies of the same eBook? Bulk orders are not currently available through the website. Website purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. If you want to order multiple copies of an eBook, please contact customer support at [email protected].
What if I need to request a refund on my eBook order? RETURN POLICY: We are unable to accept returns or cancel previously placed eBook orders.