The Unlikely Journey of Yong Zhao
In this instructive title, authors McDiarmid and Zhao showcase the educational experiences of internationally acclaimed educator Yong Zhao: a pioneer of educational equity who has emerged as one of the most respected educators in the world.
Add this eBook to your credit card purchase and gain immediate access.
eBooks are available on desktop, Android, and iOS via Adobe Digital Editions. eBook purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. Please visit the eBook FAQ for more information.
A memoir of growth and development in leadership for educational equity
Improbable Probabilities is an analysis of opportunity as seen through the journey of renowned scholar Yong Zhao. From an obscure village in a China wracked by the Cultural Revolution to acclaim as one of the most influential international voices in education today, Yong’s journey reveals that disadvantages may become advantages and assuming risks that others avoid can open unforeseen opportunities.
In this instructive title, you will learn about:
- Why families are important for children, through Yong’s experiences growing up impoverished in a supportive but illiterate family
- How low or no expectations may benefit some children, as illustrated by an absence of familial expectations that freed Yong to explore and discover a love of language, reading, and writing
- Students’ potential to find and take advantage of opportunities
- How Yong discovered, explored, and pursued opportunities others failed to see in order to become internationally recognized as a researcher, professor, and writer
- Why Yong’s publications and perspective challenge many of the current orthodoxies in education, especially regarding how to improve the learning of students living in low-wealth communities
Product Code: BKG016, EKF578
“Improbable Probabilities is a powerful text demonstrating Yong Zhao’s unwavering determination. This remarkable story inspires readers to focus on possibilities and opportunities rather than obstacles. Educators learn groundbreaking practices to reimagine the field of education and increase all students’ probability of success.”
“This is a must-read for all educators! Yong Zhao’s journey is a reminder that all students can be successful regardless of the circumstances into which they are born. Improbable Probabilities calls educators to expand their vision of what education is and how it can be redefined to create opportunities for all students.”
“Improbable Probabilities illustrates how education is a phenomenon among others, such as chance, risk, and opportunity. G. Williamson McDiarmid and Yong Zhao’s book contributes to the corpus of work exposing the frailty of systems and ideologies that can break down under the pressure of goodwill.”
When can I access my eBook? Your eBook will be accessible through VitalSource once your payment has been processed.*
*When using a check or purchase order, the order submitted online will not be processed until Solution Tree receives the check or a copy of the signed official purchase order. Your purchase order must note payment terms of net 30 days. We cannot process purchase orders that do not note these payment terms. Please submit all payments to [email protected].
How do I access my eBook?
To access your eBook:
- Create a free VitalSource account by visiting VitalSource.com. If you already have a VitalSource account, please log in to your account.
- Paste the redemption code that Solution Tree will email you in the “Redemption Code” field on VitalSource.com/Redeem. (Note: You can also access your redemption code within your Solution Tree account under the “eBook” section.)
- Click “Redeem.”
- Enjoy! Once your code is redeemed, your book will be added to your VitalSource Bookshelf and can be read anytime, anywhere.
What are the technical requirements for accessing the eBook? A VitalSource account is required. To sign up for your free account, please visit VitalSource.com.
What are the shipping and handling costs? There are no shipping or handling costs associated with eBooks. For paperback and hardcover book purchases, standard shipping costs apply. Please visit the Product Orders page for more information on shipping and handling costs.
Can I purchase multiple copies of the same eBook? Bulk orders are not currently available through the website. Website purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. If you want to order multiple copies of an eBook, please contact customer support at [email protected].
What if I need to request a refund on my eBook order? RETURN POLICY: We are unable to accept returns or cancel previously placed eBook orders.