Our On-Site Professional Learning for DNA Mathematics
Bring our DNA Mathematics experts to your school. DNA Mathematics professional development empowers teachers, administrators, and coaches to master the mathematics being taught in classrooms. Grade-band-specific classroom videos are used extensively throughout the services to highlight key instructional practices and demonstrate to participants how they can successfully apply what they've learned in a classroom setting.
Where are you on your professional learning journey?
Your school or district is ready to start building expertise with DNA Mathematics professional development.
You need specialized professional learning services to continue deepening your expertise in DNA Mathematics.
Building Your Skills
An expert author or DNA Mathematics certified associate will educate and motivate your team to support high levels of mathematics teaching and learning.
- Supporting Instructional Shifts in Mathematics to Engage ALL Students in Higher Order Thinking
Big-Picture Shifts in Content and Instruction
Successful leaders of mathematics teaching must know what to look for and promote in instruction. Explore content-based strategies to transform teaching and advance learning. Participants will investigate shifts in planning, instructing, and assessing, to focus on deeper content-based instruction. Create a shared image of successful classrooms, and generate a plan for targeted professional improvement in mathematics teaching.
Meeting the Needs of Each and Every Student
Address opportunity and equity within mathematics instruction for all students with an engaging DNA Mathematics sessions. Choose from:
- Small Groups, Big Gains: Making Mathematics Accessible and Equitable in Small Group Settings
- Closing the Gender Gap in Mathematics Grades K–5: Gain a better understanding of gender biases related to mathematics and improve educational experiences for girls. These research-based recommendations for teaching math to girls include tools, tips, and exercises that strengthen girls’ experiences as learners of mathematics.
- Understand the environmental barriers and gender stereotypes that create gender differences in mathematics performance and prevent many girls from learning mathematics at high levels.
- Learn how to foster a safe learning environment that encourages girls to take risks when they learn math.
- Focus on the mathematics gender achievement gap through three lenses: (1) perceptions, (2) possibilities, and (3) priorities.
Deepening Your Skills
Make sense of mathematics for teaching in an intensive and collaborative setting. In this institute, teachers will become the learners of the mathematics that they teach. Gain instructional strategies modeled by an expert with a definite focus on grade-specific mathematical content.
Learn how content-based strategies transform teaching and advance learning. Participants will apply deep understanding of mathematics content to create end-of-unit assessments, engage students in high-cognitive-demand tasks, assess student work, and implement productive homework plans.
By observing instruction in select classrooms in your school, a DNA Mathematics associate will determine areas of strength and areas of growth for each lesson observed based on the TQE process. Action items will be developed and shared with the teacher based on desired outcomes in instructional shifts.
TQE Learning Lab and Lesson Study
Practice and refine mathematical tasks with a DNA Mathematics expert who will facilitate team discussions and provide feedback. Our associates will coach administrators and instructional coaches on look-fors as they observe teachers in action. During the TQE Learning Lab, participants dive deep into tasks as grade or course-alike pairs. Pairs will first develop a shared task for small groups, and then teach the task, observe each other, revise, deliver again, and reflect. With the Lesson Study, available upon request, we will coach one participant through planning a lesson and facilitate team reflection. A second teacher will then deliver a revised lesson based on the reflection.
Instructional Quality Workshops
Discover a clear path for improving the quality of mathematics instruction at any grade level. This on-site professional development service guides educators through activities to explore task potential, examine successful implementation of tasks, facilitate mathematical discussions, and use evidence of student learning.
- Use tasks, questions, and evidence (the TQE process) and the rubrics associated with the Instructional Quality Assessment (IQA) as a support to increase the effectiveness of instruction.
- Gain understanding of the connection between teacher questioning and increased student success.
- Learn how to interpret student responses and determine appropriate teacher actions within a model of formative assessment.
- Enhance your understanding of math strategies through hands-on activities.
Sustaining Your Skills
Strengthen practices and processes with just-in-time, in-class support. Participants will observe model teaching, engage in collaborative planning, and receive guidance during teacher observations and evaluations to move mathematics instruction forward.
Tell us your goals and challenges, and we'll develop a customized learning plan specially designed to support teachers of mathematics. Our experts—who are available for both on-site professional development and virtual training—will first help teachers deepen their understanding of K−12 mathematics content and then support them to effectively teach with focus and rigor.
Global PD Teams
Provide your collaborative teams with on-demand access to instructional videos from the creators of DNA Mathematics—Juli K. Dixon, Edward C. Nolan, and Thomasenia Lott Adams. These videos help create a shared vision of classrooms where teachers and students are engaged in meaningful mathematics learning experiences. Choose Global PD Teams when you need:
- Daily, convenient access to real-time school improvement models and strategies
- Job-embedded professional development
- Resources to build collective teacher efficacy
- Clear learning paths toward student achievement and school improvement
- Quality content from authors you know and trust
Why DNA Mathematics?
Our experts help preK–12 educators make sense of mathematics for teaching so that they:
- CONNECT TASKS to prioritized learning goals
- USE QUESTIONS to elicit mathematical understandings and common errors
- COLLECT EVIDENCE to drive just-in-time scaffolding
DNA Mathematics empowers teachers, administrators, and coaches to make sense of the mathematics being taught in classrooms. Grade-band-specific classroom videos are used extensively throughout the services to highlight key instructional practices and demonstrate to participants how they can successfully apply what they’ve learned in a classroom setting.