Our On-Site Professional Learning for DNA Mathematics
Bring our DNA Mathematics experts to your school. DNA Mathematics professional development empowers teachers, administrators, and coaches to master the mathematics being taught in classrooms. Grade-band-specific classroom videos are used extensively throughout the services to highlight key instructional practices and demonstrate to participants how they can successfully apply what they've learned in a classroom setting.
Where are you on your professional learning journey?
Your school or district is ready to start building expertise with DNA Mathematics professional development.
You need specialized professional learning services to continue deepening your expertise in DNA Mathematics.
Building Your Skills
An expert author or DNA Mathematics certified associate will educate and motivate your team to support high levels of mathematics teaching and learning.
Big-Picture Shifts in Content and Instruction
Successful leaders of mathematics teaching must know what to look for and promote in instruction. Explore content-based strategies to transform teaching and advance learning. Participants will investigate shifts in planning, instructing, and assessing, to focus on deeper content-based instruction. Create a shared image of successful classrooms, and generate a plan for targeted professional improvement in mathematics teaching.
Address equity and access of mathematics instruction for all students with an engaging DNA Mathematics keynote. Our experts will deliver one of three keynotes depending on your needs. Choose from:
- Supporting Instructional Shifts in Mathematics to Engage ALL Students in Higher Order Thinking
- Small Groups, Big Gains: Making Mathematics Accessible and Equitable in Small Group Settings
- What is We Redefine Success?
Deepening Your Skills
Make sense of mathematics for teaching in an intensive and collaborative setting. In this institute, teachers will become the learners of the mathematics that they teach. Gain instructional strategies modeled by an expert with a definite focus on grade-specific mathematical content.
Learn how content-based strategies transform teaching and advance learning. Participants will apply deep understanding of mathematics content to create end-of-unit assessments, engage students in high-cognitive-demand tasks, assess student work, and implement productive homework plans.
By observing instruction in select classrooms in your school, a DNA Mathematics associate will determine areas of strength and areas of growth for each lesson observed based on the TQE process. Action items will be developed and shared with the teacher based on desired outcomes in instructional shifts.
TQE Learning Lab and Lesson Study
Practice and refine mathematical tasks with a DNA Mathematics expert who will facilitate team discussions and provide feedback. Our associates will coach administrators and instructional coaches on look-fors as they observe teachers in action. During the TQE Learning Lab, participants dive deep into tasks as grade or course-alike pairs. Pairs will first develop a shared task for small groups, and then teach the task, observe each other, revise, deliver again, and reflect. With the Lesson Study, available upon request, we will coach one participant through planning a lesson and facilitate team reflection. A second teacher will then deliver a revised lesson based on the reflection.
Closing the Gender Gap in Mathematics Grades K–5
Gain better understanding of gender biases related to mathematics and improve educational experiences for girls. These research-based recommendations for teaching math to girls include tools, tips, and exercises that strengthen girls’ experiences as learners of mathematics.
- Understand the environmental barriers and gender stereotypes that create gender differences in mathematics performance and prevent many girls from learning mathematics at high levels.
- Learn how to foster a safe learning environment that encourages girls to take risks when they learn math.
- Focus on the mathematics gender achievement gap through three lenses: (1) perceptions, (2) possibilities, and (3) priorities.
Instructional Quality Workshops
Discover a clear path for improving the quality of mathematics instruction at any grade level. This on-site professional development service guides educators through activities to explore task potential, examine successful implementation of tasks, facilitate mathematical discussions, and use evidence of student learning.
- Use tasks, questions, and evidence (the TQE process) and the rubrics associated with the Instructional Quality Assessment (IQA) as a support to increase the effectiveness of instruction.
- Gain understanding of the connection between teacher questioning and increased student success.
- Learn how to interpret student responses and determine appropriate teacher actions within a model of formative assessment.
- Enhance your understanding of math strategies through hands-on activities.
Sustaining Your Skills
Strengthen practices and processes with just-in-time, in-class support. Participants will observe model teaching, engage in collaborative planning, and receive guidance during teacher observations and evaluations to move mathematics instruction forward.
Tell us your goals and challenges, and we'll develop a customized learning plan specially designed to support teachers of mathematics. Our experts—who are available for both on-site professional development and virtual training—will first help teachers deepen their understanding of K−12 mathematics content and then support them to effectively teach with focus and rigor.
Global PD offers on-demand access to instructional videos from the creators of DNA Mathematics—Juli K. Dixon, Edward C. Nolan, and Thomasenia Lott Adams. These videos help create a shared vision of classrooms where teachers and students are engaged in meaningful mathematics learning experiences.
- View high-quality footage demonstrating classroom mathematics instruction.
- Explore what best-practice mathematics instruction looks like at the appropriate grade level.
- Learn the foundations for connecting prior knowledge to new learning.
Choose the professional learning timeframe that fits best with your schedule:
- One full-day session
- Two half-day sessions
- Three two-hour sessions
Why DNA Mathematics?
Our experts help preK–12 educators dive deep into:
- Appropriate mathematics content
- Effective pedagogical actions
- Productive classroom norms
- Meaningful assessment
- Collaborative teacher team efforts
DNA Mathematics empowers teachers, administrators, and coaches to master the mathematics being taught in classrooms. Grade-band-specific classroom videos are used extensively throughout the services to highlight key instructional practices and demonstrate to participants how they can successfully apply what they’ve learned in a classroom setting.