Transform how you teach literacy in elementary classrooms by integrating makerspace ideas and hands-on learning experiences designed to deepen student understanding and reading comprehension.
- Examine the ways maker education and project-based learning (PBL) can enhance teaching and empower student engagement and learning.
- Learn how to reimagine instruction to ensure students build crucial literacy, collaboration, and thinking skills.
- Study various low-tech and low-cost strategies and how to utilize them in flexible learning spaces or makerspaces in the elementary classroom or school.
- Receive checklists and planning tools for incorporating a maker education curriculum in your classroom reading activities.
- Reflect on the literacy activities and makerspace ideas presented by answering reflection questions at the end of each chapter.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: What the Research Says
Chapter 2: Creative Pathways to Learning
Chapter 3: Thinking and Design
Chapter 4: Low-Tech Making
Chapter 5: Remaking With Maker Tech
Chapter 6: Guidance for Implementation
Appendix A: Remaking Literacy Book List
Appendix B: Remaking Literacy Sample Rubric
Appendix C: Web Resources List
- Maker Movement Resources: Blogs, Books, and More!
- Figure 4.2: Makerspaces From A to Z
- Figure 4.8: Remaking Literacy Student Planning Guide
- Figure 6.1: Open-Ended Questions and Phrases That Support Maker Learning
- Figure 6.2: The Remaking Literacy Lesson Guide
- Figure 6.3: Tool for Reflecting on Making
- Figure 6.4: Remaking Peer Feedback
- Figure 6.5: Remaking Literacy Checklist
- Figure B.1: Remaking Literacy Sample Rubric
- Web Resources List
- Jacie Maslyk, Creativity in the Making, “Game Hacks for Makers”
- PBS LearningMedia
- Ruth Spiro, Baby Loves Science Series
- Standards for the English Language Arts
- Storyboard That
- Tara Martin
- YouTube, “Oliver Jeffers—Stuck—Reading”
- The Extraordinaires Design Studio
- Five-Card Flickr
- LUMA Institute
- Project Zero
- TED, “Doodlers, Unite!”
- Happy Hooligans, “How to Make a God’s Eye Craft—Weaving for Kids”
- Kidspot, “Things to Do”
- Museum of Modern Art
- Museum of Modern Art, “Henri Matisse”
- Scholastic, “Make It”
- 3-D Printing Pens by MYNT3D
- 50 Ways to Use Book Creator in Your Classroom
- BirdBrain Technologies, “Robot Petting Zoo”
- Book Creator
- Common Sense Media
- CoSpaces Edu
- Do Ink
- Gamestar Mechanic Jr.
- Houthoff Zoo Design
- HP Reveal
- Learning Resources, “Botley”
- PBS Design Squad, “Bristle Bots”
- Piper Computer Kit
- SAM Labs
- Squishy Circuits
- Twitter, Ryne Anthony
- YouTube, “Interactive Book: Operating Scratch through Makey Makey”
- YouTube, “Jaime Donally: Transporting Learning with Augmented, Virtual, and Mixed Reality for All Classrooms”
- YouTube, “MaKey MaKey—An Invention Kit for Everyone”
- YouTube, “Robo-Sauce from Adam Rubin (writer) and Daniel Salmieri (illustrator)”