Making Sense of Mathematics for Teaching Grades K–2
Develop a deep understanding of mathematics. This user-friendly resource presents grades K–2 teachers with a logical progression of pedagogical actions, classroom norms, and collaborative teacher team efforts to increase their knowledge and improve mathematics instruction. Explore strategies and techniques to effectively learn and teach significant mathematics concepts and provide all students with the precise, accurate information they need to achieve academic success.
- Explore how to develop, select, and modify mathematics tasks in order to balance cognitive demand and engage students.
- Discover the three important norms to uphold in all mathematics classrooms.
- Learn to apply the tasks, questioning, and evidence (TQE) process to grow as both learners and teachers of mathematics.
- Use charts and diagrams for classifying shapes, which can engage students in important mathematical practices.
- Access short videos that show what classrooms that are developing mathematical understanding should look like.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Number Concepts and Place Value
Chapter 2: Word Problem Structures
Chapter 3: Addition and Subtraction Using Counting Strategies
Chapter 4: Addition and Subtraction Using Grouping Strategies
Chapter 5: Geometry
Chapter 6: Measurement
Epilogue: Next Steps
Appendix A: Completed Classification of Triangles Chart
Appendix B: Completed Diagram for Classifying Quadrilaterals
- Attribute Block Sorting Task
- Blank Chart for Addition and Subtraction Problem Types
- Geoboard Fourths Task
- Shape Cards
- Word Problem Sorting Task
- Writing Money Problems Aligned to the Addition and Subtraction Problem-Types Chart Task
SAMPLE CLASSROOM VIDEO
Links to additional videos can be found in the book.