Breaking With Tradition
Discover how to shift to a competency-based education system that replaces traditional, ineffective practices with a new model that fosters personalized, student-centered learning.
- Learn how to drive increased academic achievement for all students.
- Consider anecdotes from the authors’ experiences working with schools that illustrate best practices in action.
- Contemplate your school’s reality, and determine what actions you can take to improve student achievement.
- Plan for structural changes that will produce the school culture your school seeks.
- Use helpful protocols, rubrics, and action and assessment plans found throughout the book.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Understanding the Components of an Effective Competency-Based Learning System
Chapter 2: Building the Foundation of a Competency-Based Learning System Through PLCs
Chapter 3: Developing Competencies and Progressions to Guide Learning
Chapter 4: Changing to Competency-Friendly Grading Practices
Chapter 5: Creating and Implementing Competency-Friendly Performance Assessments
Chapter 6: Responding When Students Need Intervention and Extension
Chapter 7: Sustaining the Change Process
Chapter 8: Using a School-Design Rubric to Assess Where Your School Is in Its Competency Journey
Final Thoughts: Top-Five List for Successful Transition to Competency-Based Learning
Develop a clear path toward your goals by using the free study guide.
- Assessment Validation Checklist
- Assessment Validation Protocol
- Competency-Based Learning School-Design Rubric (updated)
- Competency-Based Learning School-Design Rubric
- Performance Assessment-Planning Template
- DuFour, R. (2015). In Praise of American Educators: And How They Can Become Even Better. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., Reeves, D., & DuFour, R. (2018). Responding to the Every Student Succeeds Act With the PLC at Work Process. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press
- The Center for Collaborative Education
- College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Framework for Social Studies Standards
- College for America
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- International Association for K–12 Online Learning
- New Hampshire Network
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Virtual Learning Academy Charter School