Embedded Formative Assessment
Drive student engagement, learning, and success using effective assessment strategies in the classroom. The second edition of Dylan Wiliam’s best-selling book presents new research, insights, and examples as well as updated classroom formative assessment strategies and techniques teachers can implement immediately.
Embedded Formative Assessment Strategies for Student Engagement and Success
By integrating classroom formative assessment practices into daily activities, educators can substantially increase student engagement and the rate of student learning. The second edition of this best-selling book by Dylan Wiliam presents new research, insights, and formative assessment strategies and techniques teachers can immediately apply in their classrooms. Updated examples and templates are included to help teachers elicit evidence of learning, provide meaningful feedback, and empower students to take ownership of their education.
Implement effective assessment strategies in the classroom by:
- Reviewing the five key strategies of formative assessment in the classroom.
- Learning more than 70 practical techniques for classroom formative assessment.
- Examining research that states classroom formative assessment is the most impactful and cost-effective approach to raising student academic achievement.
- Exploring the use of classroom questioning, learning intentions and success criteria, feedback, collaborative and cooperative learning, and self-regulated learning to engineer effective learning environments.
- Discovering new insights into the current states of education and employment, and a discussion of how these changes affect student performance and teacher practice.
Product Code: BKF790
Published By: Solution Tree
“Dylan Wiliam’s latest work seamlessly weaves research with practicality, big ideas with accessible classroom examples, and grassroots movements with global trends. Wiliam is refreshingly honest in his analysis of what most impacts learning, and he leaves the reader more convinced than ever that assessment does indeed form the bridge between teaching and learning.”
“In Embedded Formative Assessment, Dylan Wiliam uses theory and evidence to explain how the detailed strategies of formative assessment work to increase student engagement and learning. In so doing, he helps teachers gain a deep understanding of this powerful means for improving their practice.”
“Embedded Formative Assessment, Second Edition furnishes key formative assessment processes boiled down to easy-to-implement procedures that result in increased student success. Wiliam provides an excellent balance between research and practice. His examples and implementation recommendations provide a clear path to successful classroom experiences.”
“By comparing the failures of recent school improvement efforts to the successes of pedagogies that include the five key strategies of formative assessment, Dylan Wiliam makes a compelling case for using formative assessment to improve the quality of teaching and increase student achievement. He demonstrates that improving teaching in this way is entirely feasible by introducing over seventy classroom-tested and research-based formative assessment techniques that can be implemented without extra resources. Every teacher, school leader, and educational researcher should read this book.”