Teaching Habits and Attitudes for 21st Century Learning
You know students need to acquire 21st century skills. But how do you work those skills into the curriculum? Learn how to use the content you already teach to challenge students to think critically, collaborate with others, solve new problems, and adapt to change across new learning contexts. Help students build the seven habitudes—habits of disciplined decisions and specific attitudes—they need to succeed.
- Take advantage of simple, fast methods to teach critical 21st century skills.
- Learn a set of transferable concepts that you can teach and students can apply across every grade level and discipline.
- Explore model lessons to help students become critical, creative, and strategic learners.
- Nurture self-motivation, a key ingredient for student achievement.
- Help students develop habits and attitudes that sustain effort and accomplishment both in and out of school.
- Use this new shared language to build a culture of learning.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Redefining Success in the 21st Century
Chapter 1: Nurturing Genius: A Framework for Teaching and Learning the Habitudes
Chapter 2: Imagination
Chapter 3: Curiosity
Chapter 4: Self-Awareness
Chapter 5: Perseverance
Chapter 6: Courage
Chapter 7: Passion
Chapter 8: Adaptability
Chapter 9: Closing Thoughts
Appendix A: The Habitudes Notebook
Appendix B: Habitudes Pre- and Postassessment
- Defining the Habitudes
- Definitions and Descriptions of the Habitudes
- Dream Team Members
- General Habitude Reflections
- Genius Questions
- Habitude Definition Assessment
- The Habitudes Self-Assessment
- Habitudes Pre- and Postassessment Worksheet
- Learning Styles and Preferences
- My Adaptability Rating
- My One Special Thing!
- My Reflections on Adaptability
- My Reflections on Courage
- My Reflections on Curiosity
- My Reflections on Imagination
- My Reflections on Passion
- My Reflections on Perseverance
- My Reflections on Self-Awareness
- Notebook Template 1: The Habitude I'm Using
- Notebook Template 2: How I Use the Habitudes
- Notebook Template 3: My Beginning Thoughts About the Habitudes
- Notebook Template 4: My New Thoughts About the Habitudes
- Notebook Template 5: What I Have Learned About the Habitudes
- A Passion Detector
- Personal Curiosity Inventory
- Question Typology
- SCAMPER Checklist of Questions
- Self-Awareness Inventory
- What I Do and Possible Results
- What I Don't Do and Possible Results
- What Is a Habitude?
- What Makes Me, Me?
- Angela Maiers
- Behind the Brand—Seth Godin Linchpin
- Classroom Habitudes Posters
- The Innovative Educator
- International Society for Technology in Education
- The Mindmapping Toolbox: 100+ Tools, Resources, and Tutorials
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Profiles of a Passion-Driven Student
- Sir Ken Robinson: Bring on the Learning Revolution!