Beyond 21st Century Skills
Education authorities from around the globe explore deeper learning, a process that promotes higher-order thinking, reasoning, and problem solving to better educate students and prepare them for college and careers. Relying on research as well as their own experience, the authors show how to use intensive curriculum, instruction, assessment, and leadership practices to meet the needs of 21st century learners.
- Discover the vital importance of deeper learning to students' future success.
- Effectively prepare teachers for deeper learning in the classroom.
- Successfully promote deeper learning with technology.
- Explore ways to foster students' creativity, problem solving, and sense of entrepreneurship.
- Accurately and effectively assess for deeper learning.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Foreword: Beyond the Rhetoric
Introduction: Advancing a New Agenda
Part I: How Does Deeper Learning Look and Sound?
Chapter 1: Deeper Learning for Students Requires Deeper Learning for Educators
Chapter 2: Dispositions: Critical Pathways for Deeper Learning
Chapter 3: Paradigm Shift: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students
Chapter 4: Powering Up Learning With PBL Plus Technology
Chapter 5: Developing Teachers for Deeper Learning
Part II: What Will Drive the Shift?
Chapter 6: The Worst of Times, The Best of Times
Chapter 7: Road Maps to Deeper Learning
Chapter 8: 21st Century Curriculum: A Global Imperative
Chapter 9: Assessment Systems for Deeper Learning
Part III: What Lessons Will Work?
Chapter 10: Breakthrough Learning
Chapter 11: All or Nothing: A Deeper Learning Experience
Chapter 12: Ears to the Ground: School Leadership in the New Millennium
Chapter 13: The Pivotal Role of the District
Chapter 14: Levers for Change: The Role of the States
- National Center for Education Statistics, "NAEP Questions Tool”
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, "PISA Products”
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, "PISA Released Items—Science”
- Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Portal, "Resources and Documentation”
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium Portal, "Sample Items and Performance Tasks”
- University of Oregon, "Taxonomy Table”
- Community High School of Vermont, "Workforce Development Partnership”
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Casa Familiar
- Collegial Coaching Hub
- High Tech High
- High Tech High Graduate School of Education
- School Reform Initiative
- America Achieves, "OECD Test for Schools”
- Council for Aid to Education, "What Is CLA+?”
- Deeper Learning, "Resources”
- Hewlett Foundation
- Bate Middle School
- Ben Franklin Elementary School
- Cable Impacts Foundation
- Carolina Forest International Elementary School
- Common Sense Media
- Henderson County Public Schools, Dana Elementary
- International Society for Technology in Education
- Learn NC
- Ohio Performance Assessment Pilot Project
- Our Future Now
- Partnership for 21st Century Skills, "Case Studies”
- Spirit Lake Community Schools
- Walker Elementary School