Letting Data Lead
Build a culture of purposeful assessment design and data analysis for student learning. Drive student achievement in your school or classroom with a systematic approach to conducting effective assessments, collecting meaningful data, and taking action based on the results.
- Obtain templates and analysis methods for collecting, interpreting, and responding to assessment data.
- Define the purpose of assessments to distinguish between when a response is needed and when a response is not essential.
- Design assessment of student learning in a way that creates actionable insights and pinpoints where students are struggling.
- Consider practices that support the systematic approach to responding to student results with data-driven instruction.
- Build a classroom culture where students react to their personal data, set goals, and engage in critical thinking.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Designing Assessments—Where Data Response Starts
Chapter 2: Creating a Structure to Support Data Consistency for Common Assessments
Chapter 3: Visualizing and Interpreting Data With an Eye on Action
Chapter 4: Responding to Data—Considerations, Practices, and Procedures
Chapter 5: Encouraging Students to Respond to Data
Chapter 6: Considering Sustainability
- Figure 2.3: Common Assessment Implementation Considerations
- Figure 3.11: Tracking Sheet for Student Interaction
- Figure 3.12: Student Perceptions Survey Statements
- Figure 4.16: Template to Gather Student Responses to Assessment Results
- Figure 6.2: Questions to Encourage Parent Involvement
- Figure 6.3: School or District Three-Year Assessment Professional Development Plan
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Burke, K., & Depka, E. (2011). Using Formative Assessment in the RTI Framework. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Depka, E. (2015). Bringing Homework Into Focus: Tools and Tips to Enhance Practices, Design, and Feedback. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Depka, E. (2017). Raising the Rigor: Effective Questioning Strategies and Techniques for the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Vagle, N. D. (2017). Essential Assessment: Six Tenets for Bringing Hope, Efficacy, and Achievement to the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Reeves, D. (Ed.). (2007). Ahead of the Curve: The Power of Assessment to Transform Teaching and Learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Vagle, N. (2015). Design in Five: Essential Phases to Create Engaging Assessment Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded Formative Assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.