Simplifying Common Assessment
Built on the process featured in Common Formative Assessment: A Toolkit for PLCs at Work™, this book demonstrates how educators can develop effective and efficient assessments. The authors simplify assessment development to give teacher teams the confidence to write and use team-designed common formative assessments that help ensure all students master essential skills and concepts.
- Gain strategies for how to identify and unwrap power standards to use as the basis for learning targets and common formative assessments.
- Use protocols and reproducibles to facilitate the formative assessment process.
- Get tools to create pacing guides and to design units for conducting and responding to assessments.
- Explore ideas on how to encourage students to become actively involved in the assessment process.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Framing the Power of Assessment in Professional Learning Communities
Chapter 1: Clarifying Assessment Types and Uses
Chapter 2: Starting With the End in Mind
Chapter 3: Considering Rigor and Complexity
Chapter 4: Intentionally Planning Instruction and Assessment
Chapter 5: Creating Questions, Tasks, and Tools That Work
Chapter 6: Using Data to Support Student Learning
Chapter 7: Focusing on Feedback and Grappling With Grading
Chapter 8: Using Common Assessments With Singleton Teachers
Appendix: Using a Road Map to Implement Common Assessments
- Figure 5.4: Assessment Planning Chart
- Table 5.2: Protocol for Assessment Planning
- Figure 5.7: ACID Test
- Writing Quality Questions
- Table 6.1: Protocol for Using Common Summative Assessment Data
- Table 6.2: Protocol for Using Common Formative Assessment Data
- Figure A.1: Understanding the Role of Essential Standards
- Figure A.2: Aligning Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessments
- Figure A.3: Developing Quality Common Formative Assessments
- Figure A.4: Using Data From Assessments
- Figure A.5: Involving Students in the Process
- Collaborating for Success With the Common Core: A Toolkit for Professional Learning Communities at Work™, Reproducibles
- Google Apps Learning Center
- Google Docs, “Identifying Characters, Settings, and Major Events”
- Kildeer Countryside Community Consolidated School District 96, “Elementary Pacing Guides”
- The Learning Network
- University of Arizona, “Progressions Documents for the Common Core Math Standards”
- Bailey, K., & Jakicic, C. (2012). Common Formative Assessment: A Toolkit for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Bailey, K., Jakicic, C., & Spiller, J. (2014). Collaborating for Success With the Common Core: A Toolkit for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., & Mattos, M. (Eds.). (2015). It’s About Time: Planning Interventions and Extensions in Elementary School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2012). Simplifying Response to Intervention: Four Essential Guiding Principles. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Mattos, M., & Buffum, A. (Eds.). (2015). It’s About Time: Planning Interventions and Extensions in Secondary School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2011). Embedded Formative Assessment. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.