Engaging Students at Risk Through the Power of Relationships
Research shows that discipline problems are prevalent in public schools and continue to be one of the greatest challenges in education. In Building Bridges, author Don Parker shows educators how to address this issue head-on. He shares an array of evidence-based strategies to build teacher-student relationships and create a welcoming learning environment that fosters student engagement, motivation, and achievement.
Support students at risk by creating a positive school culture and building trust:
- Consider the student behaviors, characteristics, and experiences that are typically barriers to success in school.
- Learn how and why punitive punishments and zero-tolerance policies have failed to curb poor behavior in schools or provide adequate interventions for struggling students.
- Understand the importance of teacher-student relationships in teaching students at risk and the ways in which trust and positive relationships improve student behavior.
- Develop your ability to build positive teacher-student relationships through educational techniques, classroom management strategies, and teaching methods.
- Study the research that supports the many academic and social benefits of positive teacher-student relationships when teaching students at risk.
- Examine the ways in which school culture and climate affect the behavior of students and classroom engagement.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Develop the Mindset
Chapter 2: Show That You Care
Chapter 3: Establish a Culture for Learning
Chapter 4: Don’t Take Bad Behavior Personally
Chapter 5: Create an Effective Classroom Management Plan
Chapter 6: Connect Through Content
Chapter 7: Use the Back Door
Chapter 8: Take an Ecological Approach
Chapter 9: Develop Empathy
Chapter 10: Teach Life Skills and Give Students Hope
Chapter 11: Build Students’ Self-Esteem
Chapter 12: Get to the Root of the Problem
Chapter 13: Communicate With Your Heart
Chapter 14: Open Up
Chapter 15: Seal the Bond and Provide Effective Feedback
- Kelly, F., & McCain, T. (2018). Learning Without Classrooms: Visionary Designs for Secondary Schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.