Redefining Student Accountability
A Proactive Approach to Teaching Behavior Outside the Gradebook
Schools have long tied student behavior to academic grades. This book will help you separate achievement from behavior and learn how to teach students positive behaviors, social-emotional intelligence, and skills for navigating their place as learners.
- Learn how to create trauma-informed, restorative, and schoolwide approaches to teaching the skills of responsibility to students.
- Discover how to improve students’ social competence through a process of goal-setting, self-monitoring, and self-reflection.
- Gain an understanding of how the PLC at Work® and RTI at Work™ processes, as well as strong assessment practices, can redefine student accountability in the classroom.
- Understand how reinforcement works and how to use it to benefit students.
- Explore why behavior should be separated from grades and how to effectively assess and report on behavior.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Redefining Student Accountability Within the Assessment Context
Chapter 2: Redefining Student Accountability Within the PLC at Work Context
Chapter 3: Redefining Student Accountability Within an RTI at Work Context
Chapter 4: Teaching and Reinforcing Responsibility
Chapter 5: Correcting Irresponsibility and Supporting Responsibility
Chapter 6: Prioritizing and Reporting on Behavioral Attributes
Chapter 7: Self-Regulating Student Accountability
- Figure 1.3: Flowchart for Deciding Which Behavioral Missteps Should Be Included in Academic Grade Determination
- Chapter 1: Questions for Learning Teams (p. 26)
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking action: A handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2011). Simplifying response to intervention: Four essential guiding principles. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Dimich, N., Erkens, C., & Schimmer, T. (2023). Jackpot! Nurturing student investment through assessment. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (1998). Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best practices for enhancing student achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C. (2016). Collaborative common assessments: Teamwork. Instruction. Results. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Erkens, C., Schimmer, T., & Dimich, N. (2017). Essential assessment: Six tenets for bringing hope, efficacy, and achievement to the classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Guskey, T. R. (2015). On your mark: Challenging the conventions of grading and reporting. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Hannigan, J., Hannigan, J., Mattos, M., & Buffum, A. (2021). Behavior solutions: Teaching academic and social skills through RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Schimmer, T. (2016). Grading from the inside out: Bringing accuracy to student assessment through a standards-based mindset. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.