Beyond the Grade Reproducibles
Refining Practices That Boost Student Achievement
To help all students succeed, vast changes in grading policies and scheduling are needed. In this research-based resource, the authors examine why current practices are ineffective and present an evidence-based case for a standards-based grading system. Use this book as a schoolwide study guide to ensure all staff fully understand how standards-based grading will improve the achievement of an ever-growing, diverse student population.
- Ascertain the school variables that can influence student motivation and enhance achievement.
- Explore the disadvantages of traditional grading practices and the advantages that come from implementing standards-based grading practices.
- Receive guidance on providing students with the extra time and help they require to meet their learning needs.
- Access a list of questions that can help bring focus to your discussions about grading practices.
- Gain resources, including sample schedules, for implementing standards-based grading practices in elementary, middle, and high schools.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part I: Assess Problems With Traditional Grading Practices
Chapter 1: Why It’s Time to Reassess
Chapter 2: Flawed Grading Practices and Policies
Chapter 3: How Poverty Creates Variables That Affect Achievement
Part II: Implement Solutions to the Problems
Chapter 4: Improve Grading Practices and Policies
Chapter 5: Effectively Address Poverty and Its Variables
Chapter 6: Rethink Scheduling
Epilogue: The Power of a Teacher
- Chapter 1 Reflection Questions
- Chapter 2 Reflection Questions
- Chapter 3 Reflection Questions
- Chapter 4 Reflection Questions
- Chapter 5 Reflection Questions
- Chapter 6 Reflection Questions
- Epilogue Reflection Questions
- The Council of Ministers of Education, Canada
- The Dynamic Learning Maps Alternate Assessment System Consortium
- ETS, Global Programs and Services
- The National Center and State Collaborative
- OpenEd, Guide to Common Core Standards by State
- Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, Accessibility Features and Accommodations Manual
- Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers, Assessments
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, Accessibility and Accommodations
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium, Smarter Assessments
- Daylight/Twilight Alternative High School
- Fork Union Military Academy
- Pathways in Technology Early College High School
- The Southern Regional Education Board
- Altering the TIME Variable to Facilitate Student Support During School Hours
- Bertcan Plan B Middle School 12-Period (6 Blocks) Schedule for Grades 6–8
- Suggested High School 30‐Day Schedule for Students Needing Intensive Acceleration and Support
- Suggested High School Schedule for Cohort I Students
- Suggested High School Schedule for Cohort II Students
- Suggested School-Day Rotations for Encore/Plan Periods Shown in Master Schedule (Cycle 1)
- Toward a Comprehensive Framework for Accelerating Reading Achievement in the Primary Grades