Transform an in-depth understanding of the new science standards into successful classroom practice. You’ll learn how to align instruction and assessment with the science standards and create proficiency scales that can be used to plan all types of lessons. Discover hundreds of ready-to-use proficiency scales derived from the Next Generation Science Standards that are applicable to specific areas of science instruction.
- Explore how standards-based science education has evolved.
- Understand how the NGSS are organized and how they can be used in classroom instruction.
- Integrate 21st century thinking and reasoning into instruction of the NGSS.
- Develop high-quality common assessments based on the new science standards.
- Design student-specific learning goals and proficiency standards using the NGSS.
- Access hundreds of ready-to-use science proficiency scales.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part I: Applying the New Science Standards
Chapter 1: The Evolution of Standards-Based Education in Science
Chapter 2: Measurement Topics, Proficiency Scales, and the NGSS
Chapter 3: Proficiency Scales and Classroom Instruction
Chapter 4: Proficiency Scales and Classroom Assessment
Part II: Scoring the New Science Standards
Proficiency Scales for the Next Generation Science Standards
Appendix A: Using the New Taxonomy of Educational Objectives
Appendix B: Strategies for Setting an Effective Context for Learning
- The Marzano Standards-Based Gradebook
- Marzano, R. J. (2009). Designing & Teaching Learning Goals & Objectives. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J., Rogers, K., & Simms, J. A. (2015). Vocabulary for the New Science Standards. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J., Yanoski, D. C., Hoegh, J. K., & Simms, J. A. (with Heflebower, T., & Warrick, P.). (2013). Using Common Core Standards to Enhance Classroom Instruction and Assessment. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.