Poor Students, Richer Teaching
This research-based resource details the difficult but necessary work that K–12 teachers must undertake to positively impact students living in poverty. A companion to Poor Students, Rich Teaching, this book outlines three new mindsets that enhance teaching and strengthen students’ learning: the positivity mindset, enrichment mindset, and graduation mindset. The author includes implementation strategies and lesson-planning tools.
- Understand the urgency of addressing US poverty.
- Learn three powerful mindsets to effect change.
- Positively influence students’ emotional states to impact achievement.
- Build students’ cognitive capacity to support learning.
- Engage all students for success.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The New Normal
Part One: Why the Positivity Mindset?
Chapter 2: Secrets of the Positivity Mindset
Chapter 3: Boost Optimism and Hope
Chapter 4: Build Positive Attitudes
Chapter 5: Foster Control, Choice, and Relevancy
Chapter 6: Change the Emotional Set Point
Chapter 7: Lock in the Positivity Mindset
Part Two: Why the Enrichment Mindset?
Chapter 8: Secrets of the Enrichment Mindset
Chapter 9: Manage the Cognitive Load
Chapter 10: Develop Better Thinking Skills
Chapter 11: Enhance Study Skills and Vocabulary
Chapter 12: Build Better Memory
Chapter 13: Lock in the Enrichment Mindset
Part Three: Why the Graduation Mindset?
Chapter 14: Secrets of the Graduation Mindset
Chapter 15: Support Alternative Solutions
Chapter 16: Prepare for College and Careers
Chapter 17: Lock in the Graduation Mindset
Appendix A: Rich Lesson Planning
Appendix B: Running Your Own Brain
- Figure 3.2: Sample Class Poster
- Table A.1: Middle School Science Lesson Plan
- Figure A.2: Checklist for Changing Mindsets
- Figure B.4: Stress-Response System Checklist
- Lesson Plan
- Managing My Destiny
- Powerful Questions
- Sample Visual Organizer
- What to Do When It’s Not Working
- C8 Schools
- Enchanted Learning
- Green Book of Songs
- Jungle Memory
- Scientific Learning
- Scientific Learning’s Reading Assistant
- Minuteman High School
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- University of the People
- Zero Tuition College