A Teacher’s Guide to Excellence in Every Classroom
Maximize your impact as an educator and unlock your students’ full potential with A Teacher’s Guide to Excellence in Every Classroom. Readers will discover how to promote academic success, increase engagement, and foster a growth mindset among their students.
- Study the powerful impact educators have on the lives of their students through influential teaching strategies and building relationships.
- Examine the connections between teacher effectiveness and widespread student excellence.
- Consult schoolwide, team, and individualized support systems and interventions, which strengthen instruction at every level of need and experience.
- Gain numerous strategies for classroom management and pathways toward increasing your effectiveness through the Student Excellence Support System.
- Learn how the author’s Hierarchy of Instructional Excellence relates to Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs in order to address specific areas for student improvement and growth, including self-actualization.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Teachers—Our Most Powerful Resource
Chapter 2: Teaching for Excellence—Learning Resources
Chapter 3: Teaching for Excellence—Classroom Routines and Procedures
Chapter 4: Teaching for Excellence—Relationships for Learning
Chapter 5: Teaching for Excellence—Student Engagement
Chapter 6: Teaching for Excellence—Rigor and Mastery
Chapter 7: Teaching for Excellence—Creative Strategies for Individual Students
Chapter 8: Teaching for Excellence—Student Leadership
- Chapter 2 Reflection Tool: Learning Resources
- Figure 2.3: Learning Resources Reflection Tool
- Figure 2.5: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Learning Resources
- Chapter 3 Reflection Tool: Classroom Routines and Procedures
- Figure 3.2: Expectations and Responses for Classroom Routines
- Figure 3.3: Expectations and Responses for Learning Procedures
- Figure 3.4: Classroom Routines and Procedures Reflection Tool
- Figure 3.6: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Classroom Routines and Procedures
- Chapter 4 Reflection Tool: Relationships for Learning
- Figure 4.3: Relationships for Learning Reflection Tool
- Figure 4.4: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Relationships for Learning
- Table 4.1: Considerations for Delivering Teacher-Student Relationships
- Table 4.2: Considerations for Delivering Teacher-Student Relationships When Students Fail to Connect With Teachers
- Table 4.3: Classwide Supports for Student-Content Relationships
- Table 4.4: Classwide Supports for Student-Student Relationships
- Chapter 5 Reflection Tool: Student Engagement
- Figure 5.5: Student Engagement Reflection Tool
- Figure 5.6: Planning Form for Classwide Supports for Engagement
- Figure 5.7: Monitoring and Adjustment Plan for Engagement
- Figure 5.8: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Student Engagement
- Chapter 6 Reflection Tool: Rigor and Mastery
- Essential Skills Analysis Chart
- Figure 6.9: Rigor and Mastery Reflection Tool
- Figure 6.11: Essential Skill Assessment Chart
- Figure 6.12: Essential Skill Instructional Activities Chart
- Figure 6.13: Essential Skill Questioning Strategies Chart
- Figure 6.14: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Rigor and Mastery
- Chapter 7 Reflection Tool: Creative Strategies for Individual Students
- Choice Board Template
- Figure 7.6: Intervention Grouping
- Figure 7.7: Micro-Goals Chart
- Figure 7.8: Creative Strategies for Individual Students Reflection Tool
- Figure 7.9: Preparing for Student Success
- Figure 7.10: Response to Failure With the 1-2-3 Process
- Figure 7.11: Intervention Groups by Proficiency Level and by Skill
- Figure 7.12: Student Goal-Setting Sheet
- Figure 7.13: Micro-Goals Worksheet
- Figure 7.14: Feedback Sentence Stems
- Figure 7.15: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Creative Strategies for Individual Students
- Chapter 8 Reflection Tool: Student Leadership
- Figure 8.2: Four Questions for Student Leadership
- Figure 8.3: Questions for Identifying Student Jobs and Leadership Responsibilities
- Figure 8.4: Student Leadership Reflection Tool
- Figure 8.5: Questions for Defining Student Leadership
- Figure 8.8: Individualized Student Support Problem-Solving Tool—Student Leadership
- Buffum, A., & Mattos, M. (Eds.). (2015). It’s About Time: Planning Interventions and Extensions in Elementary School. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work™. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2009). Pyramid Response to Intervention: RTI, Professional Learning Communities, and How to Respond When Kids Don’t Learn. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Weber, C. (2012). Simplifying Response to Intervention: Four Essential Guiding Principles. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. J. (2011). Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Ferriter, W. M. (2015). Creating Purpose-Driven Learning Experiences. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Ferriter, W. M., & Cancellieri, P. J. (2017). Creating a Culture of Feedback. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Frey, N., Fisher, D. & Gonzalez, A. (2010). Literacy 2.0: Reading and Writing in 21st Century Classrooms. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Jensen, E. (2019). Poor Students, Rich Teaching: Seven High-Impact Mindsets for Students From Poverty (Rev. ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded Formative Assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wink, J. R. (2017). A Leader’s Guide to Excellence in Every Classroom: Creating Support Systems for Teacher Success. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.