Achieving Great Impact
Empowering Teachers to Drive Their Growth and Development
Discover how to nurture and enhance the job performance of teachers in your school or district. The authors share highly practical, research-based strategies for assessing teachers and providing them with meaningful feedback that fosters their continual professional growth. Learn how to clearly communicate teaching performance standards and expectations, use multiple forms of data for evaluation, conduct effective conferences with teachers, and more.
- Learn the importance of and reasons for teacher evaluation.
- Create a positive school culture that supports teachers' growth.
- Acquire the skills to help teachers plan and monitor their professional growth and development.
- Understand how and why to use a variety of data sources to assess a teacher's performance.
- Maintain high-quality teacher performance that promotes student success.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Building the Foundation for Teacher Professional Growth
Chapter 2: Defining Clear and Understood Performance Expectations
Chapter 3: Using Coaching and Peer Coaching
Chapter 4: Using Team Data in the Professional Growth Process
Chapter 5: Using Portfolios
Chapter 6: Using Student Feedback
Chapter 7: Using Student Learning and Achievement Data
Chapter 8: Conferencing With Teachers
Chapter 9: Understanding and Addressing Marginal and Deficient Teachers
Chapter 10: Documenting the Contract Termination Process
Chapter 11: Conducting and Delivering Summative Feedback Sessions
Appendix A: Templates for Coordinating Teamwork and Teacher Evaluation
Appendix B: Conferencing Tools and Templates
- Figure 3.1: Goal-Setting Planning Template
- Figure 3.3: Goal-Setting Template for Providing Information
- Figure 6.2: Sample Informal Student Feedback Form
- Figure 6.3: Student Classroom Feedback Planning Form
- Figure 11.1: Factors to Consider When Planning for a Summative Feedback Session With a Teacher
- Figure 11.2: Connecting or Combining Data Sources to Document Performance Ratings
- Table 11.1: Example of Expectations and Years of Experience for Meeting School Expectations for the Teaching Standard of Classroom Management
- Figure B.2: Conferencing Template for the Challenged
- Figure B.3: Conferencing Template for On-the-Job Retirees
- Figure B.4: Conferencing Template for Resident Experts
- Figure B.5: Conferencing Template for Summative Conferences
- Conferencing Template for Working With Deficient Teachers
- Form for Identifying Priority Teacher Criteria
- Template for Creating Coaching Conversations
- Template for Reflective Coachee Conferences
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., & Many, T. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Eller, J. F., & Eller, S. A. (2011). Working With Difficult and Resistant Staff. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.