All Other Duties as Assigned
The Assistant Principal’s Critical Role in Supporting Schools Inside and Out
Delve into the extensive scope of responsibilities inherent to being an assistant principal. Grow in your instructional leadership, fortify your adaptive communication skills, and gain strategies to achieve success and happiness.
- Delve into the role of an assistant principal and the wide variety of duties and responsibilities it encompasses.
- Learn how to develop positive, equitable environments for student learning and educator achievement.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of managerial strategies and compassionate leadership.
- Benefit from the variety of reproducible professional development activities.
- Encourage learning and growth through strong leadership.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Deciding You Want to Be an Assistant Principal
Chapter 2: Making Time for Management
Chapter 3: Fostering a Positive School Culture and Climate
Chapter 4: Developing Relationships
Chapter 5: Protecting and Promoting Priorities and People
Chapter 6: Leveraging Firm and Fair Discipline
Chapter 7: Capitalizing on Teachable Moments
Chapter 8: Safeguarding an Equitable Education for All
Chapter 9: Taking Time for Teaching and Learning
Chapter 10: Supporting School Improvement and Accountability
Appendix: Quick Reference—Strategies
- Tool to Develop a Framework for Decision Making
- Professional Development: A Deeper Dive—Deciding You Want to Be an Assistant Principal
- Figure 2.1: A Casting Manager’s Talent Bank Chart Starter
- Professional Development: A Deeper Dive—Making Time for Management
- Figure 3.2: Institutional Expectations and Individual Preferences of Staff
- Figure 3.3: Institutional Roles and Personalities Assigned
- Professional Development: A Deeper Dive—Fostering a Positive School Culture and Climate
- Figure 6.1: Elements of Interest, Engagement, and Success in Lessons Observed
- Professional Development: A Deeper Dive—Leveraging Firm and Fair Discipline
- Boogren, T. H. (2018). Take time for you: Self-care action plans for educators. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Colburn, L., & Beggs, L. (2020). The wraparound guide: How to gather student voice, build community partnerships, and cultivate hope. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Gruenert, S., & Whitaker, T. (2022). Leveraging the impact of culture and climate: Deep, significant, and lasting change in classrooms and schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The new art and science of teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Warrick, P., & Simms, J. A. (2014). A handbook for High Reliability Schools: The next step in school reform. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Mascareñaz, L. (2021). Evident equity: A guide for creating systemwide change in schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Nichols, H. (2021). Finding your blind spots: Eight guiding principles for overcoming implicit bias in teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Rogin, M. (2022). Change starts with me: Talking about race in the elementary classroom. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.