From Tired to Inspired
Fresh Strategies to Engage Students in Literacy
Discover research-based tips and strategies to improve literacy from upper elementary to secondary school classrooms. Teachers, preteachers, and teacher preparation institutions will find this an invaluable resource for helping students master assignments in reading, writing, speaking, and listening, as encouraged by the Common Core State Standards. Topics include teaching close reading and writing, engaging students, making literacy instruction meaningful, and more.
- Engage students in cognitive conversations around speaking, writing, and reading.
- Transform students into independent thinkers and questioners.
- Buoy rigorous instruction by embedding it in a supportive, engaging environment.
- Communicate concepts like narrative, perspective, and metaphor.
- Encourage and model questioning.
- Use soft skills and novelty to reach reluctant students.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Close Reading and Close Writing
Chapter 2: The Core of Literacy
Chapter 3: Reteaching Strategies
Chapter 4: Cognitive Conversations
Chapter 5: Using Novelty for Reluctant Learners
Chapter 6: Creative and Critical Thinking Approaches to Literacy
Chapter 7: Outrageous Teaching
Chapter 8: Mixing Complexity and Integration Into Planning
Chapter 9: Standards and Assessments Fostering Literacy Growth
- Classroom Talk
- Comparing Two Poe Stories
- Crazy 8s Brainstorming Sheet
- Creative and Critical Thinking Skills
- End-of-Year Course Evaluation
- Episodes of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
- An Exercise in Close Seeing
- First Chapters Reading Day
- Fortune-Telling Chart
- Group Discussion Guidelines
- Group Discussion Report Sheet
- How Authors Pick Their Words
- If You Were an iPhone: An Electronic Autobiography
- Outrageous Teaching Worksheet
- Photosynthesis Dolly
- Puzzling Out Meaning
- Recognizing Child Abuse Checklist
- A Record Sheet for Elie Wiesel's Night
- Reflection Response Sheet
- The Storyboard: A Narrative Organizer
- Supporting Evidence for Child Abuse of Huck Finn
- Teacher's Checklist on Questioning Habits
- Tribute Portfolio Project
- Types of Questions Asked and by Whom
- X-Ray Chart
Websites and Blogs
- Adam Griffin's open-house presentation
- Classic Short Stories—“Leiningen versus the Ants”
- Common Core Curriculum Mapping Project guides
- Critical Press Media
- Heather Wolpert-Gawron “Edutopia” blog
- Facing the Future
- Significant Objects
- Socratic Seminar Student Guidelines
- Teaching That Makes Sense
- Who is Harris Burdick?
- Escapism to Propel Halloween Spending to $5.8 Billion
- Halloween Celebrations Rise as Consumers Look to Escape Everyday Realities
- Halloween Sales & Trends—A Guide to Halloween for the E-Commerce Merchant
- Halloween Sales (1983–2003)
- Halloween Spending Rises