Reading and Writing Instruction for Fourth- and Fifth-Grade Classrooms in a PLC at Work®
Prepare students in grades 4–5 to succeed with increasingly sophisticated reading and writing challenges. This resource contains literacy and student engagement strategies for educators in a professional learning community, as well as reading and writing strategies.
- Understand the role PLCs and collaborative teams play in literacy development and reading comprehension strategies.
- Obtain strategies and tools, such as the pre-unit protocol, for unpacking and clarifying literacy standards.
- Explore adaptable, research-based instructional strategies, and learn how to plan high-quality literacy instruction that boosts student reading and writing skills.
- Examine the four components of the gradual release model—(1) focused instruction, (2) guided instruction, (3) collaborative learning, and (4) independent learning.
- Observe how to collaboratively score assessments and conduct effective data inquiry and analysis.
- Study the powerful impact literacy has on student engagement and inclusivity.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Every Teacher Is a Literacy Teacher
Chapter 1: Establish Clarity About Student Learning Expectations
Chapter 2: Examine Assessment Options for Literacy
Chapter 3: Create a Learning Progression to Guide Instruction and Assessment
Chapter 4: Develop Collective Understanding of Learning Expectations
Chapter 5: Respond to Data to Ensure All Students Learn
Chapter 6: Design Lessons Using the Gradual Release of Responsibility Instructional Framework
Chapter 7: Plan High-Quality Literacy Instruction
Chapter 8: Select Appropriate Instructional Strategies
Chapter 9: Consider Equity in Literacy
Appendix A: Templates and Tools
Appendix B: Process for Prioritizing Standards
Appendix C: Depth of Knowledge Overview
Appendix D: Essential Understandings and Guiding Questions
Appendix E: List of Figures and Tables
- Figure 5.1: Data-Inquiry Meeting Preparation Checklist
- Figure 5.3: Tool for Creating Data-Discussion Norms
- Figure 5.4: Data-Inquiry Discussion and Recording Template
- Figure 5.6: Interdisciplinary Scaffolding Strategies
- Figure 8.4: Graphic Organizer With Excerpted Dialogue
- Figure 8.6: Dialogue Sentence Strips
- Figure 8.7: Dialogue Mechanics
- PREP Template
- Learning Progression and Assessments Template
- Text Complexity: Qualitative Measures Rubric—Informational Texts
- Text Complexity: Qualitative Measures Rubric—Literature
- Exercise: Enter Unit Standards Onto the PREP Template
- Exercise: Indicate (or Determine) Priority Standards
- Exercise: Unwrap Unit Priority Standards
- Exercise: Identify Knowledge Items
- Exercise: Determine Skills
- Exercise: Assign Levels of Rigor for Learning Targets
- Exercise: Consider Assessment Types and Purposes
- Exercise: Develop a Learning Progression and Assessment Plan
- Exercise: Consider Options for Complex Texts
- Exercise: Map Out Instruction and Assessment Dates
- Exercise: Develop a Common Analytic Rubric
- Exercise: Create Student Checklists
- Exercise: Participate in Collaborative Scoring
- Exercise: Design a Data-Collection Tool
- Exercise: Participate in a Team Data-Inquiry Discussion
- Exercise: Explore Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Exercise: Consider Literacy Best Practices
- Exercise: Address Spelling and Vocabulary Instruction
- Exercise: Design a Complete Lesson
- Exercise: Address Important Questions About Access
- Bailey, K., & Jakicic, C. (2017). Simplifying Common Assessment: A Guide for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Bailey, K., Jakicic, C., & Spiller, J. (2014). Collaborating for Success With the Common Core: A Toolkit for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Brendtro, L. K., Brokenleg, M., & Van Bockern, S. (2019). Reclaiming Youth at Risk: Futures of Promise (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (2008). Revisiting Professional Learning Communities at Work: New Insights for Improving Schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. J. (2011). Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Friziellie, H., Schmidt, J. A., & Spiller, J. (2016). Yes We Can!: General and Special Educators Collaborating in
- Professional Learning Community.Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Glass, K. T. (2017). The Fundamentals of (Re)designing Writing Units. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Glass, K. T. (2018). (Re)designing Narrative Writing Units for Grades 5–12. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Glass, K. T., & Marzano, R. J. (2018). The New Art and Science of Teaching Writing. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2020). Teaching Basic, Advanced, and Academic Vocabulary: A Comprehensive Framework for Elementary Instruction. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Reeves, D. (2007). Ahead of the Curve: The Power of Assessment to Transform Teaching and Learning. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree.
- Townsley, M., & Wear, N. L. (2020). Making Grades Matter: Standards-Based Grading in a Secondary PLC at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Vagle, N. D. (2015). Design in Five: Essential Phases to Create Engaging Assessment Practice. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded Formative Assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- California Department of Education, “Recommended Literature List”
- Common Core State Standard’s “Appendix B: Text Exemplars and Sample Performance Tasks”
- International Literacy Association, “Choices Reading Lists”
- National Council of Teachers of English, “Awards”
- edHelper.com, “Free Graphic Organizers Worksheets”
- Education Oasis, “Graphic Organizers”
- Freeology, “Graphic Organizers”
- Google Arts & Culture
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Education Place, “Graphic Organizers”
- Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Education Place, “Graphic Organizers”
- National Geographic, “Photo of the Day Archive”
- Teacher Files, “Graphic Organizers”
- TeacherVision, “Graphic Organizers”