Use the PLC process to evaluate homework and practices in mathematics. Learn how collaboratively assigning and grading math homework increases student engagement and math skills.
- Discover how you and your colleagues can design and use mathematics homework and grading practices to produce significant improvement in student learning.
- Learn the value of common scoring agreements among educators.
- Understand and find solutions to common grading errors to ensure equity among all students.
- Implement effective grading practices that provide meaningful and actionable formative feedback to students.
- Support student engagement and ensure students persevere in their learning of mathematics and problem solving.
Table of Contents Part 1: Team Action 5: Develop and Use High-Quality Common Independent Practice Assignments for Formative Student Learning
Chapter 1: The Purpose of High-Quality Common Independent Practice Assignments Part 2: Team Action 6: Develop and Use High-Quality Common Grading Components and Formative Grading Routines
Chapter 2: Example Independent Practice Assignments
Chapter 3: Formative Independent Practice Routines for Improved Student Learning
Chapter 4: Common Scoring and Grading Agreements for Independent Practice Assignments
Part 1 Summary
Chapter 5: The Purpose and Nature of Grading in Mathematics Appendix: Cognitive-Demand-Level Task Analysis Guide
Chapter 6: How to Create and Evaluate Quality Grading Components
Chapter 7: Formative Grading Routines
Chapter 8: Traditional Report Card Grades and Standards-Based Scoring Routines
Part 2 Summary
Part 1 Summary
Independent Practice Assignment Sheets
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2010). Formative Assessment and Standards-Based Grading. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Schimmer, T. (2016). Grading From the Inside Out: Bringing Accuracy to Student Assessment Through a Standards-Based Mindset. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.