The School Board Fieldbook
Leading With Vision
Take a reader-friendly tour through the responsibilities and challenges of being a school board member. Written by experienced, award-winning administrators, this book gives practical guidance on how to best work with school administrators and staff to create and fulfill a shared vision of school system excellence. This clear, concise book helps new board members understand the difference between their expectations and actual duties.
A Joint Publication With the American Association of School Administrators
- Get strategies for managing the life-changing responsibilities of being a school board member.
- Understand the true purpose of a school board and what its members must and must not do.
- Learn steps for collaborative decision making and relationship building.
- Examine the crucial role of good board communications with five constituencies: administrators, teachers and other staff, students, parents, and community members.
- Find 10 signals that the board is in trouble and how to respond to them.
- Collect the right data and use it to assess student performance and stakeholder satisfaction.
- Use a model of a district performance scorecard to communicate and monitor goals.
- Gain practical solutions for hiring and evaluating superintendents, negotiating with teacher unions, handling complaints, assessing student achievement, strategic budgeting, and more.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The Learning Curve: What Makes Serving on a School Board Unique?
Chapter 2: Three Roles Essential to Every School System
Chapter 3: Communication Is Key
Chapter 4: 10 Signals That Your Board Is in Trouble
Chapter 5: Data—A Critical Tool for Your School Board
Chapter 6: Four Common Issues in Board Service
Chapter 7: The Ethics of Board Service
- Communication Structures and Processes
- Collaborative Leadership Structures
- Rick Stiggins’ EDGE Analysis of Assessment System Users and Uses
- Classroom Communication Boards
- Satisfaction Survey Alignment
- Alignment Framework
- Strategic Plan Flowchart
- Scorecard Metrics
- District Performance Scorecard
- Scorecard Backup Data
- Student Data Folders
- District Scorecard Calendar
- A Rubric for Achieving the Gold Standard