Flip This School
Develop a school improvement plan for leading school turnaround. Designed for school leaders and district administrators, as well as teacher leaders, Flip This School presents a framework to create a successful turnaround school and support continuous improvement.
- Identify the unique needs of your school, and learn how to determine the best methods to address present conditions.
- Understand the skill set needed for effectively leading school turnaround efforts.
- Gain strategies for developing a data-gathering plan, and recognize the ways in which data is helpful for successful turnaround schools.
- Examine the role of districts in school improvement planning and the school reform and turnaround process.
- Consider how your school improvement plan can include strategies to improve school culture and provide opportunities for professional growth for teachers.
- Learn how to effectively manage change as well as understand how teacher leadership teams contribute to the turnaround process.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Understanding Yourself as a Leader
Chapter 2: Understanding Essential Turnaround Actions
Chapter 3: Implementing Structures and Processes for Turnaround Success
Chapter 4: Assessing and Developing Your Leadership Skills
Chapter 5: Gathering Data About Your School
Chapter 6: Obtaining Commitment From the District
Chapter 7: Maintaining a Positive and Productive Culture
Chapter 8: Building Capacity
Chapter 9: Successfully Managing Change
- Figure 4.1: Assessing Your Turnaround Competencies
- Figure 4.2: Assessing Your Organization’s Difficult and Resistant Staff
- Figure 4.3: Assessing Your Skills Related to the Grief Process
- Figure 5.1: Guiding the Formation of a School Data-Analysis Team
- Figure 5.2: Worksheet for Planning the First Organizational Data-Analysis Team Meeting
- Figure 5.3: Worksheet for Using Norms Versus Ground Rules
- Figure 5.4: Template Team Agenda
- Figure 5.5: Data-Gathering Map
- Figure 5.6: Assessing School and Community Programs Worksheet
- Figure 5.9: Form for Gathering Initial School Culture Data
- Figure 6.1: Worksheet for Identifying Possible District Resources to Assist With a School-Turnaround Effort
- Figure 6.2: Template for Planning a Meeting to Obtain District Support
- Figure 7.1: Continuum of School Culture Types
- Figure 7.3: Worksheet to Assess the Culture of Your School
- Figure 8.1: Template and Sample Responses for Identifying Essential or Important Teaching Skills
- Figure 8.2: Sample Format for Record Keeping Related to Regular Lesson Observations
- Figure 8.3: Template for Delivering Reinforcing Feedback
- Figure 8.4: Template for Delivering Developmental Feedback
- Figure 8.5: Conferencing Template Utilizing Both Reinforcing and Developmental Feedback
- Figure 8.6: Continuum Template to Track Facultywide Strategy Implementation
- Figure 9.1: Template for Explaining Levels of Concern and Gathering Group and Individual Needs
- Figure 9.3: Sweet and Not-So-Sweet Memories Activity
- Figure 9.4: Winners and Losers in the Change Process Tool
- Barr, R. D., & Yates, D. L. (2010). Turning Your School Around: A Self-Guided Audit for School Improvement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A. (2017). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree.
- Eller, J. F., & Eller, S. A. (2011). Working With Difficult and Resistant Staff. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Eller, J. F., & Eller, S. A. (2015). Score to Soar: Moving Teachers From Evaluation to Professional Growth. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Eller, J. F., & Eller, S. A. (2016). Thriving as a New Teacher: Tools and Strategies for Your First Year. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.