From Pencils to Podcasts
How is your school data performing for you? Examine the ways your school can better use student achievement data, nonacademic student data, staff data, and parent/community data to identify areas for improvement. This book will help administrators and leaders with school improvement planning and implementation, and teachers will find that good data can be used to plan instruction and monitor and motivate students.
- Appraise how 21st century notions of literacy differ from traditional notions of literacy.
- Consider research that states why it is crucial to include digital tools in today’s classrooms.
- Learn how to enable students to create, communicate, collaborate, share, reflect, and assess through digital means.
- Gain step-by-step instructions for incorporating easily implemented digital tools into classroom practices, and see these tools and practices in action through vignettes.
- Receive tips for adapting the suggested digital tools and instructional strategies to meet the needs of different content areas.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Literacy in the 21st Century
Part I: Tools to Facilitate Comprehension and Analysis
Chapter 1: Digital Word Wall
Chapter 2: Digital Reader Response
Chapter 3: Online Literature Discussions
Part II: Tools to Facilitate Evaluation and Revision
Chapter 4: Collaborative Evaluation of Online Sources
Chapter 5: Online Book Reviews
Chapter 6: Digital Revision
Chapter 7: Reader’s Theater Digital Movies
Part III: Tools to Facilitate Performance and Publication
Chapter 8: Informational Writing Using Infographics
Chapter 9: Collaborative Digital Story Retelling
Chapter 10: Published Writing
Part IV: Tools to Facilitate Assessment and Reflection
Chapter 11: Reading Histories
Chapter 12: Conferences With Readers and Writers
Chapter 13: Digital Portfolios
Chapter 14: Digital Formative Assessment of Reading Comprehension
Un-Conclusion: It’s Not the End
- Figure 3.4: Self-Assessment Rubric for Blogging
- Figure 8.1: Student Checklist
- Research Template
- Scaffolded Reflection Questions
- MSU, “Common Prefixes, Suffixes, and Root Words”
- PBworks EDUHub
- Wikipedia, “List of Greek and Latin Roots in English”
- Wikispaces Classroom
- Word Central
- BrainPOP, “Online Sources”
- Earth’s Endangered Creatures
- -->Gulf Coast State College Library’s Video on Evaluating Websites
- Dragon Dictation
- wikiHow, “How to Create a Book With Book Creator”
- zakimi76, “Book Creator App Tutorial”