A Practical Guide for Balancing Conversations, Performances, and Products
Embrace a technology-supported and balanced approach for performance-based assessment. Use triangulation of assessment through performance observations, conversations, and physical products to accurately measure student competence for learning objectives.
Experience the convenience of eBooks! Access your eBooks anytime, anywhere on any desktop, Android, or iOS device through VitalSource. eBook purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. Please visit our FAQ for more information.
How to establish performance-based, balanced assessment in the classroom
Assessment is overdue for a technology-supported reboot, and this practical guide will help you do just that. Within its pages, you’ll discover a balanced approach to assessment for learning that includes conversations and performance-based observations as key components. Real-world case studies and differentiated implementation options are available throughout the book to help you identify your current level of knowledge, gain confidence, and hone your skills.
Use this book to guide your journey to effective performance-based assessment:
- Understand how balanced classroom assessment leads to deeper student engagement, greater equity, and increased reliability.
- Discover the role of formative and summative assessments and how to use triangulation to assess student learning outcomes.
- Watch video clips that feature real-life teachers and students implementing balanced assessment in the classroom.
- Learn how to develop positive relationships with students and create a learning environment characterized by trust and collaboration.
- Understand how to use technology and digital evidence to support assessment, including student self-assessment and peer assessment.
- Rely on the teacher-readiness scale to help you identify your comfort level with the types of assessment and approaches within the book.
Third-grade teacher Jackie Clarke explains how she establishes a culture of learning in her classroom.
K-12 students and teachers share why balanced assessment using conversation and observation is better than being evaluated on written work alone.
Product Code: BKG011, EKF573
“Revolutionary is the only way to describe this must-have book. Any educator who wants to know more about technology-supported effective assessment in the 2020s and beyond will benefit from this approach to use conversations and performances as crucial components of balanced assessment.”
“The term assess derives from the Latin assidere, meaning ‘to sit beside.’ Damian Cooper implores educators to return to this root and include conversations with learners as an integral part of a balanced approach to classroom assessment. The book’s title is especially apt as they present ways of leveraging technology to efficiently manage the processes of assessment, feedback, and reporting. I highly recommend this book to educators interested in enriching classroom assessment practices in ways that can enhance learning, not just measure it.”
“In Rebooting Assessment, Damian Cooper effectively hits the reset button for a contemporary approach to the vast and varied realm of assessment. Student voice, modern digital tools, and instant communication throw open the doors to documenting student learning as never before, and Cooper has provided the user manual.”
When can I access my eBook? Your eBook will be accessible through VitalSource once your payment has been processed.*
*When using a check or purchase order, the order submitted online will not be processed until Solution Tree receives the check or a copy of the signed official purchase order. Your purchase order must note payment terms of net 30 days. We cannot process purchase orders that do not note these payment terms. Please submit all payments to [email protected].
How do I access my eBook?
To access your eBook:
- Create a free VitalSource account by visiting VitalSource.com. If you already have a VitalSource account, please log in to your account.
- Paste the redemption code that Solution Tree will email you in the “Redemption Code” field on VitalSource.com/Redeem. (Note: You can also access your redemption code within your Solution Tree account under the “eBook” section.)
- Click “Redeem.”
- Enjoy! Once your code is redeemed, your book will be added to your VitalSource Bookshelf and can be read anytime, anywhere.
What are the technical requirements for accessing the eBook? A VitalSource account is required. To sign up for your free account, please visit VitalSource.com.
What are the shipping and handling costs? There are no shipping or handling costs associated with eBooks. For paperback and hardcover book purchases, standard shipping costs apply. Please visit the Product Orders page for more information on shipping and handling costs.
Can I purchase multiple copies of the same eBook? Bulk orders are not currently available through the website. Website purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. If you want to order multiple copies of an eBook, please contact customer support at [email protected].
What if I need to request a refund on my eBook order? RETURN POLICY: We are unable to accept returns or cancel previously placed eBook orders.