EMPOWER Moves for Social-Emotional Learning
Tools and Strategies to Evoke Student Values
“This book is about an approach to SEL that empowers students to build meaningful lives by connecting their actions—including their actions at school—to their own values,” the authors write. Learn how to apply this research-based approach in your classrooms with the help of teacher-friendly tools and strategies.
Help students find personal relevance in learning for increased student engagement and motivation
EMPOWER students to make school a source of meaning, vitality, and community in their lives. Using this book’s interconnected processes—exploration, motivation, participation, openness, willingness, empathy, and resilience—students clarify and commit to the values they want to live by. You will learn 28 activities, as well as extensions and variations for each, that increase student engagement not only in school but in building meaningful lives.
This book will help educators:
- Discover a process-based, non-prescriptive, personally relevant, and culturally affirming approach to SEL
- Implement SEL as its own curriculum, a pedagogy for academic units of study, or a one-to-one intervention
- Facilitate 28 adaptable SEL activities that invite students to identify their own values, choose how they live, and overcome internal struggles
- Evoke students’ personal values without instilling particular values
- Enhance intrinsic motivation, psychological flexibility, student and teacher self-reflection, and student voice
- Build relationships, community, a sense of belonging, and compassion in the classroom
- Have productive conversations with students and their families about living meaningful lives
Product Code: BKG095
Published By: Solution Tree