See It, Say It, Symbolize It
Teaching the Big Ideas in Elementary Mathematics
Anyone can learn mathematics and stay in the math game for life once they learn key superpowers that can demystify foundational concepts—from whole numbers, fractions, and place value operations to ratios, proportions, and percentages. This book offers teaching methods to develop a dynamic and flexible understanding of numbers and operations in young learners.
Develop a flexible and dynamic understanding of numbers and operations in young learners
Reimagining elementary mathematics pedagogy using a three-step process—See It, Say It, Symbolize It—author Patrick L. Sullivan provides a guide for developing a dynamic and flexible understanding of numbers and operations. By helping students develop a language that is consistent across concepts and connecting it to what is seen and symbolized, teachers empower their students to engage in reasoning they will utilize throughout their lives.
This book will help K–5 educators:
- Apply the See It, Say It, Symbolize It framework to foundational mathematical concepts and operations
- Reframe common mathematical language to increase students’ conceptual understanding and make connections between ideas that are often seen as disconnected
- Compare the traditional process of communicating foundational mathematical ideas to the See It, Say It, Symbolize It process, with descriptive examples
- Comprehend the superpower understandings in elementary mathematics, which help students develop a dynamic and flexible understanding of numbers and operations as well as connect multiple concepts
- Internalize chapter content with reflection prompts and end-of-chapter application guides
Product Code: BKG187
Published By: Solution Tree