In this valuable resource, the authors share recommendations for diverse and culturally relevant, quality children’s literature that explores important aspects of social-emotional learning. In each chapter, book suggestions are paired with activities that promote positive self-reflection and compassionate action toward others.
- Gain a basic understanding of social-emotional learning and concepts.
- Discover why literature is an effective tool for conveying diversity issues and social-emotional concepts.
- Engage young students with literature and activities to help them understand complex issues.
- Integrate literature from a vast array of diverse groups into classroom learning to broaden cultural understanding.
- Create an environment in which students can learn, process, and celebrate cultural differences.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Part I: Promoting Social-Emotional Development Through Diverse and Culturally Relevant Children’s Literature
Chapter 1: Developing Social-Emotional Skills in Young Children
Chapter 2: Using Diverse and Culturally Relevant Literature
Part II: Affirming Others and Self and Asserting Self Through Diverse and Culturally Relevant Children’s Literature
Chapter 3: Affirming Others
Chapter 4: Affirming Self
Chapter 5: Asserting Self
Part III: Dealing With Aggression and Conflict Through Diverse and Culturally Relevant Children’s Literature
Chapter 6: Responding to Aggression
Chapter 7: Playing and Working Cooperatively With Others
Chapter 8: Questioning Unfair Practices
- Figure 2.1: Guidelines for Selecting Diverse and Culturally Relevant Literature for Social-Emotional Learning
- Figure 3.1: Role-Play Scenes for Each Kindness
- Figure 3.2: Kind Words for Louie
- Figure 3.3: Religious Symbols
- Figure 3.4: Books on Affirming Others
- Figure 4.2: Self-Affirmations
- Figure 4.4: Occupations and Gender Activity
- Figure 4.6: Affirming My Gender
- Figure 4.8: Books on Affirming Self
- Figure 7.3: Cooperative Hands Action Project
- Figure 7.4: Cooperating to Solve Problems
- Figure 7.5: My Cooperation Project
- Figure 7.7: Books on Playing and Working Cooperatively With Others
- Figure 8.1: How Fans, Jackie, and Jackie’s Teammates Feel
- Figure 8.4: Is It Fair or Unfair?
- Figure 8.5: Scenarios for Student Problem Solving
- Figure 8.6: Books on Questioning Unfair Practices