Cultivating Competence in English Learners
Integrating Social-Emotional Learning With Language and Literacy
This research-based resource offers general education teachers more efficient and effective ways to integrate social-emotional learning (SEL), language, and literacy development into all subjects and grade levels to make the most powerful learning impact, not just for English learners but for all students.
- Understand the core tenets of the CASEL framework and how SEL applies to English learners.
- Implement a schoolwide culture shift toward SEL practices.
- Improve student SEL competencies.
- Assist English learners and multilingual learners in developing their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
- Accelerate language and literacy development.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Introduction: Why Adapt Social-Emotional Learning For English Learners?
Chapter 1: Self-Awareness Applied to Vocabulary and Discourse
Chapter 2: Self-Management Applied to Reading
Chapter 3: Social Awareness Applied to Discourse
Chapter 4: Responsible Decision Making Applied to Writing
Chapter 5: Relationship Skills Applied to School-Classroom Communities
- Table 1.2: Tier 1 Words and Phrases
- Table 1.3: Tier 2 Words and Phrases
- Table 1.4: Tier 3 Words and Phrases
- Figure 1.2: Seven-Step Method for Preteaching Vocabulary
- Figure 1.6: Student Self-Awareness and Social Norms
- Figure 1.8: Team Self-Assessment
- Figure 3.1: Team Assessment Form
- Figure 3.2: Reflection Statements
- Figure 3.3: Sample Team Reflection Questions
- Figure 3.4: Self-Awareness Form
- Figure 3.6: Frames for Team Discussions
- Figure 4.3: Ratiocination Chart
- Figure 4.4: Table Tent for Sentence Starters
- Figure 4.7: Ways to Begin a Composition
- Figure 4.8: Ways to End a Composition
- Figure 4.9: Performance Rubric
- Figure 5.1: Emotional Check-In Chart
- Figure 5.3: Sharing Sentence Frames
- Figure 5.4: Clarifying Questions
- Calderón, M. E. (2011). Teaching reading and comprehension to English learners, K–5. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Calderón, M. E. (Ed.) (2012). Breaking through: Effective instruction and assessment for reaching English learners. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Calderón, M. E., & Slakk, S. (2017). Promises fulfilled: A leader’s guide for supporting English learners. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Calderón, M. E., Trejo, M. N., & Montenegro, H. (2016). Literacy strategies for English learners in core content secondary classrooms. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Cohen, R. K., Opatosky, D. K., Savage, J., Stevens, S. O., & Darrah, E. P. (2021). The metacognitive student: How to teach academic, social, and emotional intelligence in every content area. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.