The New Art and Science of Teaching Reading
Discover a model for reading development and 100+ targeted instructional strategies. Apply the framework from The New Art and Science of Teaching by Robert Marzano to the specific needs of teaching reading comprehension. Help every student become a proficient reader, regardless of their stage of reading development.
- Explore a reading model that addresses how to articulate content, implement specific instructional strategies, and navigate reading-related issues that might arise in the classroom.
- Understand which elements of instruction are best suited for teaching reading.
- Explore how general strategies for teaching can be employed alongside specific strategies to enhance teaching, enrich learning and literacy development, and improve the classroom environment.
- Access free reproducibles, including exercises, games, and readings for the classroom.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Reading Research and a Reading-Specific Model of Instruction
Part I: Feedback
Chapter 2: Providing and Communicating Clear Learning Goals
Chapter 3: Using Assessments
Part II: Content
Chapter 4: Conducting Direct Instruction Lessons
Chapter 5: Conducting Practicing and Deepening Lessons
Chapter 6: Conducting Knowledge Application Lessons
Chapter 7: Using Strategies That Appear in All Types of Lessons
Part III: Context
Chapter 8: Using Engagement Strategies
Chapter 9: Implementing Rules and Procedures
Chapter 10: Building Relationships
Chapter 11: Communicating High Expectations
Chapter 12: Developing Expertise
Appendix A: Framework Overview
Appendix B: Orthography Exercises
Appendix C: Reading in the Disciplines
Appendix D: List of Figures and Tables
- Figure 3.4: Concepts of Print Assessment Tasks
- Figure 3.12: Comprehension Topics and Questions
- Table 3.1: Phonological Awareness Assessment Activities
- Figure 5.1: Think-Aloud Protocol
- Figure 5.3: Metaphor Knowledge Map
- Figure 5.4: Analogy Knowledge Map
- Figure 5.5: Comparison Knowledge Map
- Figure 5.8: Inductive Reasoning Knowledge Map
- Figure 5.9: Deductive Reasoning Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.1: Simple Problem-Solution Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.3: Complex Problem-Solution Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.4: Advanced Problem-Solution Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.5: Process System Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.6: Cycle System Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.7: Flowchart System Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.8: Complex System Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.10: Description Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.11: Simple Sequence Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.12: Complex Sequence Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.14: Simple Causation Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.16: Complex Causation Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.17: Causation Structure of Events Surrounding the Stock Market Crash of 1929
- Figure 6.19: Episode Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.20: Episode Knowledge Map for Baseball Saved Us (Mochizuki, 1993)
- Figure 6.21: Simple Argumentation Knowledge Map
- Figure 6.22: Complex Argumentation Knowledge Map
- Table 6.1: Four-Step Strategy for Inferring Word Meanings From Context
- Figure 7.2: Basic Relationships Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.4: Simple List Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.5: Combined List Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.7: Intersecting List Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.9: Nested List Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.11: Simple Classification Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.12: Complex Classification Knowledge Map
- Figure 7.16: Guidelines for Parent Read-Alouds, Shared Reading, and Paired Reading
- Table 7.3: Detail Questions
- Exercise 1: Spelling English Phonemes
- Exercise 2: Pronunciations
- Exercise 3: Plurals
- Exercise 4: Suffixes
- Exercise 5: Permissible Spelling Patterns
- Iberlin, J. M. (2017). Cultivating Mindfulness in the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J. (2010). Formative Assessment and Standards-Based Grading. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2018). Making Classroom Assessments Reliable and Valid. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Rogers, K., & Simms, J. A. (2015). Vocabulary for the New Science Standards. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J., & Simms, J. A. (2013). Vocabulary for the Common Core. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Marzano, R. J., & Simms, J. A. (2014). Questioning Sequences in the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Rogers, K., & Simms, J. A. (2015). Teaching Argumentation: Activities and Games for the Classroom. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.
- Scott, D., & Marzano, R. J. (2014). Awaken the Learner: Finding the Source of Effective Education. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Research.