Use the academic tasks students already do for social-emotional learning. Integrate student values into academic instruction and make learning meaningful for students. This book will guide teachers in helping students connect their work to their values, empowering them to redefine success.
- Develop an understanding of what values are, how they impact the way we live, and the need for students to choose and live their own values.
- Understand how to develop a classroom culture of willingness and encourage student empowerment.
- Help students approach academic work in ways that align with their values.
- Explore ways to integrate values exploration into student learning throughout instructional units.
- Receive numerous customizable protocols rooted in scientific and behavioral research that simultaneously facilitate academic and social-emotional growth.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
INTRODUCTION: Valuing Students’ Values
PART I: Foundations
Chapter 1: Creating a Culture of Willingness
Chapter 2: Using the Science of Empowerment
PART II: Protocols
Chapter 3: Protocols to Prepare for Learning
Chapter 4: Protocols to Explore New Material
Chapter 5: Protocols to Review the Material
Chapter 6: Protocols to Create Work Product
Chapter 7: Protocols to Refine Work Product
Chapter 8: Protocols to Reflect on Learning
CONCLUSION: Creating Learning Moments That Matter
- Figure 2.2: Self-Assessment Before Leading a Protocol
- Figure 2.3: Self-Assessment After Leading a Protocol
- Figure 5.1: How Our Emotions Reveal Our Values
- Figure 5.5: Thoughts and Actions Cards
- Figure 5.6: Example Rubric for So I Will Essays
- Figure 5.7: Examples of Positive Qualities
- Figure 5.8: Example Rubric for Naming Awards Essays
- Figure 6.1: Perspectives on My Topic
- Figure 6.2: Sandbox Prompts
- Figure 6.3: Looking at Exemplars Chart
- Figure 6.4: Group Commitments Flowchart
- Figure 6.5: Group Membership Rubric
- Unit Task Organizer
- Intention Icons
- Noticing Emotions Chart
- Review Tournament Bracket
- Peer Review Direction Cards
- Considerate Editing Chart
- Concentric Self-Portrait
- Sentence Strips